• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

purchasing M1083 or M1078 as a partial renovation

KMcD

Looking to engage someone to help source, evaluate, purchase an M1083 or M1078 as a partial renovation. Looking for someone that knows both the market and the mechanics of these vehicles. I have my own local mechanic that can do the work. Replies can go to bailydog24 @ yahoo.com

Last edited by a moderator:

INFChief

Looking to engage someone to help source, evaluate, purchase an M1083 or M1078 as a partial renovation. Looking for someone that knows both the market and the mechanics of these vehicles. I have my own local mechanic that can do the work. Replies can go to bailydog24 @ yahoo.com
Not helpful; the current market is all over the map. Asking prices are high, in my opinion. The surplus market (sales) is seemingly doing very well & buyers are putting out some big bucks (IMHO). I think you would pay less purchasing through surplus auction. But, you may end up with less cash outlay and fewer headaches buying a unit from a private (non-governmental) source.

B-Dog

This thread is akin to going on a dating site and simply posting, "Women, I've arrived. Come to me".

Post a question of some sort if you come up with one. There are lots of knowledgeable people on here, eager to help. Otherwise, it looks like you're trying to find a service, presumably for free. If not for free then visit Midwest Military Equip, they'll source & sell you a truck.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These vehicles are not really conducive to those who are not prepared to work on them themselves. Hiring it done (for the most part) is a very expensive proposition and then when you get where the vehicle is more than capable of taking you and something goes afoul you will be ill-prepared to navigate the unusual complexities of their construction. Those of us that have been in the military (especially motorpool mechanics such as myself) are uniquely suited to the task of owning these vehicles. If you are not so equipped or of the mindset to acquire this knowledge and experience outside of official (US Army) channels you will ALMOST CERTAINLY be caught in some very expensive and possibly life threatening situations - an FMTV can get you way out past cell phone coverage and beyond all hope of easy recovery should you get stuck or broke down. Consider carefully how you approach the FMTV beast - for many that aspire to these machines, a decked out 4WD sprinter with a AAA membership is probably better suited.

MRAP DREAM GIRL

KMcD

The more we read and study and Youtube it would seem that people either love LMTVs or they don't. I'm hoping when all the dust settles we end up loving mine. I know a lot of overlanders are doing some amazing things with them. We are learning somewhat quickly that General Disorder is very accurate about being prepared to service them yourself. As for Midwest I would use a great deal of caution with them. That's where I got my truck and it is anything but what they advertised.

If you have questions not suitable for this forum feel free to PM me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks