• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purple wires & diode to water in fuel solenoid

Haoleb

Yesterday I had an issue starting my truck. I would turn the key.. All the lights come on but no starter. The lights would dim and volt meter would sag when in the start position. Tried it a few times to no avail. Popped the hood and found some smoke coming up from the back of the engine drivers side... Turns out it was this diode which was so carefully wrapped in 30 year old duct tape that was burned and probably was shorting to the engine.

I have done quite a bit of searching and looking at the schematic. I have yet to find a definitive answer as to what this purple wire and diode are actually doing or what the water in fuel solenoid actually does. One speculation was it powers the "solenoid" (which the word can mean many things in itself) and that turns on the light when starting to verify water in fuel light operation. Well, I don't think that is what it does because right now I have the diode completely unplugged from the harness and the water in fuel light still works at startup.

Whatever the purpose of this circuit is I know it is not critical because the truck starts and runs fine and all lights appear to function fine without the diode in the circuit hence no power to the water in fuel solenoid.

I am mostly curious what the primary function is. I will replace the diode and re-install it into the circuit because I don't like having stuff there that does not work.. But I also like to know not only that it works but the how and why it is in there to begin with. Any ideas?

brn24wheel

Did you ever find anymore information on this? I was curious because I just found the blob of duct tape and one of the purple wires is melted. Wondering if I need to repair the wiring or just leave it as it, truck is running just fine.

Haoleb

I am just getting around to replacing the diode today. Been driving the truck since last sept. without the diode and no issue. Still have not found out what it does there.. The search continues.