• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purpose of "Reset" Button on Wiper Motor?

renovate7

I have 2 plastic wiper motors that wouldn't work. They would sweep to the right and stay there. After reading many threads I discovered the reset button has to be out for them to work. If it is in there is no way to pull it out. I hooked an air line to the outlet nipple and it forced the button back out. Both motors now work. What is the purpose of this button? Also, does anyone know who made these? I'd like to get hold of them with a few more questions.

bearboley

I don't know who made but the button is the wiper park, when you shut them off they will drift down you simply push the button in and it locks them in place. It should pop out when air is applied sometimes they are a bit sticky I just move the wiper by hand a little.

Amer-team

So what do you do when the button is out and they still don't go? If there is anyway to salvage said plastic wiper motor, would appreciate the advice.

broman78

somebody had a way to rebuild or regrease the wipers on this forum. I would start by putting a little air tool oil in the wipers and run them and see if that clears up the situation.

renovate7

Bearboley that makes sense. Amer-team that is why I'm trying to get hold of the manufacturer. From what I can tell air goes straight in and pushes on the left side of the piston, pushing it to the right. When pressure builds something has to divert the air to the tube that runs along the bottom of the motor and carries the air to the right side of the piston pushing it back...Things that would keep one from working could include dirt that came thru the lines plugging something up or very worn out O rings on the piston. I've disassemble on and don't see any moving parts, other that what may be around the reset button, an inaccessable area. These are a pretty simple item and should be easy to diagnose and fix.

runk

There are passages in the wiper case that make up a very simple air logic circuit, as the inside piston moves back and forth, different holes in the circuit (and I think there was a check ball in there somewhere), are opened and that switches which side of the cylinder is pressurized. After you take the end off and clean out all the crusty dried up grease, you need to clean out all the passages. I used tuner cleaner (plastic safe), and plastic safe grease when reassembling.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Amer-team

Thank you Cattlerepairman for finding that thread for me. Will look forward to giving that a shot. I have had at least one of the wiper motors apart and put new seals in before, but had the same issue of it going to the right and not releasing back. this gives a few other options to look at .
And yes I did break down and buy a new metal wiper motor and it took off like a shot, very depressing.

Tlauden

Whenever mine act up I put my finger on the exhaust tube for a few seconds, for some reason that pressure build up helps them run smoother...

My problem is, toget the driver one to function the valve has to be open very far, causing the passenger side one to move at a very fast rate....

renovate7

Cattlerepairman that for posting that link. I had read that but my problems were not with worn out o-rings. I think I had dirt/crud come thru the air lines plugging up one of the very small passageways. I'm adding these pics to this thread. My best guess now is there is a spring loaded check valve in the end cap. When the pressure builds with the piston to the right it shuttles air to the tube that runs along the bottom of the motor and carries air to the right end, pushing the piston back to the left. You can see the air passages in the disassembled end. If you look closely you can see the holes in the pins on the outer edge that direct the air to the tubes that run along the side of the motor. The cotter pin points to the opening for the tube that carries the air to the right. I took the button assembly out of one several years ago but don't want to destroy this one, it is working. I think if the button assembly/valve were removeable it could be cleaned, unfortunately it appears to be glued in.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks