• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purpose of wood bed spacer

emr

Its a gasket , and a testament the the outstanding durability and thousands of uses of a wood product, it is the best product for a tactical vehicle that will shift rattle and roll thru all climates and conditions, its thats simple and it works, wood and the various types are still out doing all man can come up with for many tasks.

emr

I aint sure but i don't think the composite decking has the compression resistance of oak but i am not sure if anyone knows please correct me

no it dont and it is not as good as oak not by a long shot, there is no better material than oak for such a long gasket that has to expand and twist and hold the compression ,it is and still is the best, easyt answer actually, dont mess with the best....

ALFA2

No, the home depot composite is not equivalent in compression strength to oak planks.

Composite material that exceeds oak for most things, crush, twist, rot resistance, UV resistance, moisture resistance, splitting, cracking... does exist, but in the sizes needed for the gasket application for a Deuce, this would be very expensive, and possibly hard to find milled to clear the rivets on the frame. The Oak planks if in good shape, and painted to prevent moisture retention/rot, will last longer than most new owners of the Deuce will own that truck, IMHO.

Hope it helps.

ALFA2

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To be more specific, as far as I can tell by the grain size, it's red oak, although white oak would be more durable, but tends to warp more. Green or air dried oak will eat hardware real quick because of an acid in the wood. Use kiln dried if possible.
I used (black) locust as a replacement because it's even more long lasting, does not "eat" hardware and is also harder, perfect for the bed (shown in the above post). Locust is used for fence posts around here and will last for more than 20 years in the ground without any treatment at all.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, are you bumping this 10 y.o. thread just ahead of it's anniversary for a reason?
Folks found and resurrected this thread from another current discussion of these wood spacers/pads/rails.
No uncommon for a forum-based website with over 146,000 threads in its archives.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks