• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Push button light switch Nightmare

daniel.7575

image.jpg

so today I thought I'd install a few new add ons I have collected recently.. I bought a keyed ignition switch from 'those military guys' a set of self cancelling indicators and a push button light switch..
well the ignition switch was pretty straight forward, I installed it below and to the right of the light switch where something else had been previously installed leaving the original in place to confuse would be thieves.. Worked a treat..

Then I fitted the indicators, again all working sand looking good though I don't think the two spikes that cancel the indicators mounted on the steering wheel are gonna last too long!

Finally i I installed the push button light switch.. As with above I disconnected the batteries, installed the ground wire to the chassis and wearing rubber gloves installed to switch connecting the socket to the rear.. On testing all looked good and everything appeared to work except no indicators in service drive.. I tried the B.O drive and went round the front of the truck to see what was on, my LED headlights flickered then the indicators flashed and immediately there was a loud bang, the ser drive button popped out and then a jet of smoke sprayed out of its hole filling the truck in seconds, smoke bellowing from under the dash I shut it off disconnected the batteries and wearing gloves managed to remove the switch from the dash and loom before any real damage was done..

This also fried the new ignition switch so had to put everything back as it was.. Anyway, wondering if anyone else has experience with this happening (I have read it's not uncommon) and wether I may have damaged anything else? All seems ok..

I fitted a second push button switch I had which should have been NOS but the blue lights flickered so I took it straight out..

VERY glad I wasn't driving it at the time, would have been right in my face, thought the truck was gonna burn up..... 🤔

DatGuyC

I think those push button switches are cool as **** and I REALLY want one, but stories like this are why I will probably never change out the 3 lever.

erasedhammer

I contacted esterline about the switch. They have received no notice from the military about switches burning. Absolutely no reports. All they got was notice that the switches would stop working, not catch fire.

I have to wonder why the military wouldn't notify the manufacturer about switches burning or even burning down trucks!

kcobean

I don't have any input on the push button switch (sorry to hear it popped though), but on the self-cancelling switch are you getting a lot of flex in the ring that's screwed to the steering wheel that the cancelling pins are part of? If so, that flex will eventually pop the cancelling pins out of their housings and if you're luck you won't use them. I ended up using gorilla glue to attach the ring to my steering wheel. With no flex in the ring between the screw points, it is much more solid.

Action

So, you knew it was common for these switches to catch fire, but you put one in anyways???? I hope you have full insurance coverage, and your agent doesn't frequent this board.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I contacted esterline about the switch. They have received no notice from the military about switches burning. Absolutely no reports. All they got was notice that the switches would stop working, not catch fire.

I have to wonder why the military wouldn't notify the manufacturer about switches burning or even burning down trucks!
With whom did you speak with and what is their position there?

dilvoy

I don't have any input on the push button switch (sorry to hear it popped though), but on the self-cancelling switch are you getting a lot of flex in the ring that's screwed to the steering wheel that the cancelling pins are part of? If so, that flex will eventually pop the cancelling pins out of their housings and if you're luck you won't use them. I ended up using gorilla glue to attach the ring to my steering wheel. With no flex in the ring between the screw points, it is much more solid.
The ring that is attached to the steering wheel, should be attached with three screws. Also the two long plastic legs or studs are for locating the ring onto the steering wheel. After the location is found and the screws installed, those long legs get cut off and then you slide the switch assy rearwards towards the steering wheel and tighten the four mounting screws so the thicker legs on the ring will operate the flipper on the turn signal mech.

daniel.7575

So, you knew it was common for these switches to catch fire, but you put one in anyways???? I hope you have full insurance coverage, and your agent doesn't frequent this board.
I'm afraid I was drawn to the smokey dark side by the allure of blue LEDs and cockpit design. I know guys who have run them for years in their M900 5 ton trucks with zero issues..
I just figured they could overheat not literally self combust, having witnessed it for myself I'm definitely sticking with my original unit.. I am fully insured but trying to explain that one to the claims dept would have been interesting.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many may run for years without problems, but having looked at many many trucks in the DRMO/GL/GP yards over the years at Ft Hood and Ft Sam, I have seen a bunch with burned up instrument panels with burned up push button switches, and a very few with burned instrument panels and 3-levers.

I have seen large numbers of fried push-button switches in the junkyards I frequent.

My unscientific observation is I wouldn't push those buttons with a ten foot pole. Just my 2cents and personal choice.

Cheers

papakb

The push button light switch was one of those "retro-steps" for the M series trucks. From day 1 they have caused nothing but headaches and trouble and even when they do work you have to look at them to turn them on. Not a good idea in any military vehicle when travelling down the road. I wonder who ever thought they were a good idea? The old three lever switch was so intuitive to use and didn't require taking your eyes off the road.

Action

The push button light switch was one of those "retro-steps" for the M series trucks. From day 1 they have caused nothing but headaches and trouble and even when they do work you have to look at them to turn them on. Not a good idea in any military vehicle when travelling down the road. I wonder who ever thought they were a good idea? The old three lever switch was so intuitive to use and didn't require taking your eyes off the road.
What if you dont have a thumb on your left hand for the lock lever?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks