• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Push Button Light Switch...

Bocephus

I've seen a few pictures of this contraption on the interweb, and wondering if any of you all know where I can purchase one?

Also, do they work well? Any negative feedback from them?

Thanks.

MaverickH1

I think the most common complaint is that some of them melt internally and can be a fire hazard. There was a certain kind that was less prone to this problem... but in general I got the impression that it's advised to stay away from them.

I should get my truck in the next month or so, and I suspect the headlight switch is bad. I plan on using the traditional lever type.

Bocephus

Gotcha. Mine works just fine, I just thought the look of them was really cool. Kind of adds a modern touch to the cab.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are nice, but, in reality, I preferred the 3 lever while I was in. Every once in a while it took a few attempts to get the lights on. The rebuilds we received in 2012 had the 3 lever vs. the push button.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are not authorized for use on the HMMWV...there was a SOUM put out by TACOM I do believe.
The newest hmmwv's from AM general still use the 3 lever switch.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In 939series trucks they're known to fail and burn...

If you can find someone with one, they'd probably be willing g to trade you straight across for your 3 lever switch. I suggest checking with Lindsey97 as I think I remember one of his trucks being cursed, um I mean *equipped* with one. ...

kapkanimd

I am really confused by the negative rep on these. If they were never authorized in the HMMWV how did they end up in some/mine? Mine came with one, and has not had a single issue. I find it hard to believe if there was that big of a fire hazard/warning against these they would never have made it into any. Does anyone have any data showing the risk of fire? The way people talk on here it is every other one will catch fire...

dilvoy

I just went aboard a ship for Fleet Week in San Francisco and of the three USMC Humvees that I saw, one of them had the push button switch so they are in use.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of course they are in use....just because they Are in a truck doesn't mean much....we are talking about 18yr old kids in the motor pool who use what they have. I personally, have never seen one in 30yrs of service in the military.
nor have I on any GP trucks that I've bid on or bought....

I found this blurb on line:
There were reports that early production of the pushbutton switch had problems and those units were not reliable. Get a guarantee from any vendor that you will receive a unit from newer production. By 2005 those problems seemed to be solved.

Last edited:

Gunzy

I have removed and sold 2 of them. They are pretty much fine if ALL of your lighting is LED or converted to LED as the current draw is very low and the possibility of a meltdown/fire are negligible. If you don't have LED lighting including headlamps I don't recommend using one. Also, the three lever type are more reliable and near bullet proof. JMO

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had one in my deuce for over 10 years with standard bulbs and ZERO problems. I loved mine.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one installed in an M35A3, still works. I also installed new LED head lights. The push button switch needs a very good ground, additionally, they are ESDS (Electrostatic Discharge Sensitive), mis-handling
the unit/connector can hurt it internally.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks