• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pushbutton upgrade for thumbless people.

vanaisa

Well, found this relay/timer on interweb.

Seems like small and useful upgrade for manual glow plug button?

MarcusOReallyus

Seems like a needless hassle for a very simple system. Push the button, count to ten.

If you want automation, just use the original circuit. It works quite well, and replacement cards are available.

An uncomplicated manual button for backup, if you feel the need for that.

Skinny

Sorry but if you don't have a $100 and own an antique vehicle YOU are the previous owner that I despise because they hack it up to fit a non-existent budget.

Sorry about your thumb...but get a modern glow card.

Squibbly

My recently acquired M1009 didn't actually come with a card. It currently has a toggle switch that I hold for 10 seconds which I actually like more than the reliance on a circuit board TBH. I'll probably get the circuit board anyways because it's an "original" part but that's the only reason.

Being a computer nerd and all however, I have toyed with the idea of using an Arduino board programmed with a timer and digital output to do this (Yes, I know it's overkill, but what else am I going to think about at night?), and the idea of getting the full ICE/STE adapter wiring figured out (combined with the STE manuals which hopefully come with wiring diagrams) and making a "cheap" modern Raspberry Pi or Arduino solution for diagnostic output. (and of course have a thread on it so other people could make their own or give feedback).

First though....I just need to get the truck mechanically sound. 😁

Your timer relay idea is interesting. Simple, and in lieu of a board could activate the dash "wait" light while also activating the glow plug relay, which doesn't happen when the original board is removed. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

vanaisa

Squibbly, i found one easier than Arduino - with temperature sensor and lots of setting options:

And again - i am not courage anyone to cheap hack-jobs. I just like to search such things. If it makes someones life easier - good.

Squibbly

Squibbly, i found one easier than Arduino - with temperature sensor and lots of setting options:

And again - i am not courage anyone to cheap hack-jobs. I just like to search such things. If it makes someones life easier - good.
Hopefully one of those settings is a timer. If the temp sensor ever fails, I'd want the timer circuit to kick in after 10 seconds regardless of whether or not the sensor reached temp in that time so my plugs or relay don't get burned up. 🤮
Maybe combined with the timer relay.

If I wanted easy, I'd just stick with my current 10 second toggle switch. I can do that with my toe, while I drink coffee. LOL. 😁

Squibbly

look section "Bijlagen" I dont know, what this means but there is Data sheet :)
Yeah, I don't see a timer function. There is a delay function that will kick the relay after X amount of minutes for 0 to 10, once temp is reached, but no function to only kick the relay for X milliseconds, wait, check temp again, kick relay X milliseconds, etc.

You'd also need to disable it once the engine is going.

This seems more like a warning system, where if a certain temp is reached kick a relay to throw a warning light or something that will remain on until the thresholds are over or under the temp parameters.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A time delay relay is absolutely a viable option. Just use it to power the glow plug relay. I'd recommend using a coolant temp switch though to provide ground to the TDR. That way it won't toggle when the engine is warm. You could also use that setup as a completely automated way to start the truck by simply wiring the positive of the TDR into the ignition run circuit. You'd also need to tap into the gauge setup to light up the glow plug light.

Squibbly

A time delay relay is absolutely a viable option. Just use it to power the glow plug relay. I'd recommend using a coolant temp switch though to provide ground to the TDR. That way it won't toggle when the engine is warm. You could also use that setup as a completely automated way to start the truck by simply wiring the positive of the TDR into the ignition run circuit. You'd also need to tap into the gauge setup to light up the glow plug light.
1637353080976.png

Skinny

Yeah I don't know what you guys are talking about. I've had the new GP card and plugs for a decade with zero issues. Time is money and a hundred bucks for the upgraded card is a no brainer. Call it done. Push buttons are cool if you are a broke high schooler.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A time delay relay could be purchased much cheaper than the replacement card if one doesn't have one. Less than $10 on amazon. The rest is just wiring. While it wouldn't be as fast as plugging in a card, if one didn't even have the card housing, they're going to be addressing the wiring issues anyhow.

A TDR module simply has a positive, negative, then the relay terminals com/NC/NO. One would only need to take the coolant temp to the TDR, then connect the NO terminal to the GP relay input, com would of course go to 12v+.

Skinny

Fix the harness, get a modern glow card.

Its a pretty simple circuit and a lot of it can be seperated out from a donor vehicle harness easily. I actually have one sitting in a box from a project where I ripped that turd engine out for a real engine.

Its not a race car...get a glow card

Squibbly

Push buttons are cool if you are a broke high schooler.

I’m not a high schooler.
Push buttons are cool no matter what age you are.
When have you ever seen a button on something you didn’t know what it did, and you had to push it. Half the street light buttons in the Charlotte aren’t even connected to anything. Do you know why people push them?

Because push buttons are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skinny

This is only acceptable if you label it "do not push".

Seriously, put it back to stock. You will like it more down the road.

Squibbly

This is only acceptable if you label it "do not push".

Seriously, put it back to stock. You will like it more down the road.

Well I hope you and me never end up in a high rise elevator together @Skinny , because I'm getting off on the second floor, and I'm going to light that panel up like a Christmas tree as I'm stepping off. 😂🤣

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
While the TDR setup I mentioned wouldn't monitor voltage and run an afterglow. Truth be told, my CUCV never after glows and it's not a problem. Outside of that, converting the temp sensor to a switch would make a simple TDR function much like the glow plug card. If you did need afterglow, you could use one of those horrible momentary buttons to manually control the glow plugs as needed.

Course I'm thinking more for someone who lives in a different region of the world that doesn't have access to a highly specialized board in a rarer variant of a mass produced vehicle made in another country.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks