• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

put in wrong brake fluid ?????

bradmachine

I went to pick up my M35A2, didn't know you should use silicone brake fluid.....had the dot 3 stuff.....had to add some to get the brakes to work......now I find out that I should have used silicone.....what are the consequences,?? it has been 1 week,,,, can anybody tell me what I should do ?.....the stuff that is in it is brown, rusty color....before I added any....should I add new silicone and bleed all bleed points until the new comes thru?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Open up the bleeders and walk a way for a day if you can. You will need to do a thorough bleed/flush to get the system empty. At the very minimum, suck the master cylinder dry before you start the process. Look for TB 43-0002-87 in the TM section, it explains the procedure for switching brake fluid. Search the site for brake bleeders. There's a nice thread or two showing what a creative mind and a few dollars can brew up as a power bleeder for this task. It's not so important that you put silicone fluid back in, but it is important that you thoroughly flush the system of the mix and go to one fluid or the other. Each fluid has its good and bad points but the system is compatible to both fluids. Cranetruck runs DOT3 in his ride.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: flushing brake system

IMHO, a little DOT3 mixed in with the silicone fluid isn't going to do any harm, may even be an advantage to help handle any water that may enter the system.
I like DOT 3, cheap and available everywhere. If I was in your situation and had dirty contaminated brake fluid, I'd flush with DOT3 and start using DOT3. Like I said, IMHO.

I have used DOT3 for over 10 years in my deuce without fluid related brake problems.

devilman96

RE: flushing brake system

You can use ether or on the fluid... Both work but DOT3 attracts moisture and causes rust... On the other hand it gives a better pedal because DOT 5 tends to be a little more springy in petal feel... In any case I wouldn't mix them...

Food for thought... If you just bought this truck go ahead and do yourself a favor and rebuild the brake system for the simple sake of safety. Some of these have sat for whom knows how long... Some are fine... Some are death waiting to happen... I can not remember what I spent but I think it was well under $150 for all of the kits including the air pack and shipping. At the very least it gives peace of mind and you know what you have when you hit the petal.

bradmachine

brake fluid

I flushed the lines and filled with DOT 3....I'm just to cheap to pay $60 for 2 quarts of DOT 5 at NAPA.....anyway....the brakes finally WORK......the pedal hits hard about 1/3 the way down....and the wheels slide in gravel.....so I am a happy camper so far with DOT 3....I will rig one of those brake bleeders out of a garden sprayer and flush the system out again soon,,....interesting note... I bled the master cylinder and air cylinder out into a drain pan....sitting in the sun the mixture of silicone and dot 3....actually was generating a gas and creating bubles....maybe this is part of the chemical reaction prohibiting the use of a mixture.?????.or maybe there was something left in the clean drain pan that caused this????.....anyway, now I have brakes......gonna drive it from Ohio to the farm in Illinois in a couple weeks...