• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Putting a cigarette lighter in a CUCV

AJMBLAZER

I'm a wiring noob. Never completely wired a component before so bear with me and use simple terms.

Anybody put a cig lighter in their CUCV?
What has to be done?
Where'd you run it to in the fuse box?
What gauge wire did you use?
etc etc etc...

ultim8gamr

I'm doing the same thing. I am going to run a wire from the positive terminal of the front battery back to a stereo, CB, and cigarette lighter and then run a ground back to attach where the negative grounds to the body. I will probably be using an inline fuse (the CB already has one). I am trying to find a good place to run the wire through the firewall on the pass side, there is the wires that go into the cab from behind the fuel filter unit, but they look sealed pretty well. on the drivers side i ran a PA speaker wire down through a hole near the hood hinge and through the kick panel vent unit (between the plastic and the metal of the cab) and so i might do something like that on the pass side. anyone know of a good place to run these wires? I should have it done by monday or tuesday. I'm going to radioshack tomorrow and i can find out the right gauge wire for the job. I've seen universal cigarette lighter kits at walmart so i will either do that or pull one from a junker (my 1st choice) to keep it stock looking. Just my bit of input on the matter. Please more info from those of you who have already done it.
John

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: Putting a cigarette lighter in a CUCV

I got my cig lighter at Advanced Auto. Cig lighters are sorta universal as there's only a few different styles to the actual warming element of it. Mine is the "GM style".

Why are you running a power supply to the battery for the stereo and cig lighter? The way it was explained to me you can tap into the fuse box to power them.

ultim8gamr

I was running the wire to the batt because i wasnt quite sure where to tap into the fuse block and because its is a reliable source for the multiple things i am running on it. i'll just end up putting in an inline fuse. the guy at radioshack said and 18gauge wire should be good for it.
John

Where are all you people that have done this? we need info!

AJMBLAZER

Tom at Alfa Heaven gave me a chart of the fuse box and told me which to use...but most of his other info, like my truck, has been "not quite as promised." So I'm looking for other people that have done this to make sure I'm not making a time bomb.

I know some of you guys have done this before...

AJMBLAZER

wreckerman893 said:
Unless you are going to use this devise to power 12 volt accessories don't do it. It's against regulations to smoke in any military vehicle. :lol:
I reeealllly hope you're joking...

...it's for my own personal vehicle...

...anyone have any useful info?

Swede

Has anyone tried to split alts.? Use one alt. to run two batterys to start truck. Then add a battery to the other alt. to use add ons . I think The sheet I downloaded said the only thing you have to change is the starter.. from 24v. to 12v.

AJMBLAZER

Swede said:
Has anyone tried to split alts.? Use one alt. to run two batterys to start truck. Then add a battery to the other alt. to use add ons . I think The sheet I downloaded said the only thing you have to change is the starter.. from 24v. to 12v.
I guess I'm confused...does your post have anything to do with my question?

gasser

There are a few taps around the fuse block ... one is 24v (towards the bottom left), one is 12v non-switched, and another one is 12v switched. I can't remember the location of the non-switched 12v, but I think it's to the right side of the fuse block. Use that, and put in-line a 3amp fuse. Because I think that one off the panel is connected to a 10amp, which is too much for anything that would be ultizing the cig lighter option. Just poke around with the voltmeter ... you will see what I am talking about.

I used the 12v switched one for a new stereo i just put in ... getting ready for the convoy!

HTH,

-graham

AJMBLAZER

Hey thanks guys.

Lemme see if I can find that chart of the fuse box I was given. Maybe we can jog some memories.

The funny part is all of my older vehicles had non-switched power to their cig lighters but most of my newer ones have switched. Damn annoying when you want to power your cell phone or something and are sitting in a parking lot. Definitely using non-switched!

1956_4x4

My feed is from below the horn fuse in your schematic. It is non-switched and I installed a 10 amp fuse inline to the outlet by the ashtray. I don't use it for a lighter, but do use it for accessories.

Smitty

ultim8gamr

I talked to some of the guys in the mess tent here and it was established that 18 gauge is too light for a lighter. they suggested a minimum of 12 gauge.

AJMBLAZER

1956_4x4 said:
My feed is from below the horn fuse in your schematic. It is non-switched and I installed a 10 amp fuse inline to the outlet by the ashtray. I don't use it for a lighter, but do use it for accessories.

Smitty
So just so I have this correct you're saying there's a fuse space below the horn fuse not shown in the diagram that receives power already?

Oh yeah...what size fuse would I use in there?

12 gauge eh? Think I have some of that around here. Maybe even 10.

gasser

I ran 14 gauge wire for my stereo and CB hookups. I personally think 10 is overkill; I can't see you drawing that much power for items that would connect to a cigarette lighter outlet. 12 would be about it ... IMHO.

-graham

ultim8gamr

The guy at the electrical store said anything over 10 could fry the cig lighter. so i got 10 gauge. hopefully with the radio and CB it should be alright. if it does fry the cig lighter i will just run a wire for that off the fuse block and use the 10gauge for the radio and CB. Wiring is half done, just need an inline fuse. debating whether to put it in the cab or under the hood.
John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks