• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Putting a deuce bed on a M818?

dburt

I have not taken any measurements to see if a M35 2.5 ton deuce bed would be sized right to put on a 5-ton M818 semi-truck. But- there seems to be quite a few of them coming on the market right now (Idaho Motor Pool just got 10 of 'em!) and with thier shorter wheelbase then a standard M813 5-ton truck, I wondered if a standard 8'x12' M35 deuce bed would fit and look allright on the M818. Has anyone ever done anything like this? For getting around in tight places in the mountains and the woods, the shorter wheelbase would be much better then the long wheel base M813. It seems most of the M818's I see on the market have winches (a big plus when fire wood getting in the mountains) and the power steering plus the more conventional Cummins power that seems to come in alot of them makes for an interesting combo.
Just wondering about the possibility of such a project.

dburt

Hey MilitaryResto- I haven't bought one yet, I would have to sell the M35, and gather up more $$$ to do such a project. Just starting to mull it over in the old noggin right now.

dburt

Thanks for posting that thread Recovry4X4! It looks like it can be done allright. Looks sorta like a big deuce on steriods, I think I like it!! Dadnabit, I sure would hate to sell the M35, but can't afford two trucks right now, but a big pumped "deuce" sure would be fun to have!!

rockman

I have been thinking about it also and would look to convert a M818 instead of a gasser tractor as they are getting more rare each day.

Bill

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adam, I just picked up a 5 ton 5th wheel and ramps today, literally an hour ago. I was unable to secure the spare tire rack and tool box. The quarter fenders I didn't even look at. Got any bartering stock?

vinny-socom1

Hey not to get side tracked but Kenny, Adam I have the complete 5th wheel/ramps/everything. I will be removing from both of my XM818 tractors and putting it up for sale. I also have the qtr fenders too. Call me if your interested. I posted a thread on the items under the 5ton section. If you need it sooner come on up/down and grab a wrench!

Thanks Vinny
352-258-1393

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks