• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Putting a Deuce to work for me?

bulldawg

OK, just my 2 cents worth. It may be a big difference in required paperwork if your truck is used IN your buisness rather than AS your business (such as hot shot delivery). I think that if you check prices on the liftgate you will find that a good trailer costs less than a used lift.

If money wasn't an issue (dream on) i like the roll back bed the best , followed by the crane. For a poor man like me the trailer is the cheapest and safest was to haul your equipment.

Good Luck

roscoe

I've seen that. Pretty inventive manuver. Its amazing the way things can get done when necessity dictates. I am a little concerned though that he is doing that right next to traffic.

Avn-Tech

dieselfuelonly,

I would recommend that you get a trailer first, since you already have a truck. The trailer will be more versitle for your business. If the truck breaks, you can always barrow or rent anouther truck. If you count on the truck instead of the trailer, you then need to rent a truck and trailer.

Save some of the money you make and buy a deuce later. Then you will have a spare truck and the trailer.

Further I would recommend a car type trailer instead of a military trailer. Once again more utility (can move tractors and cars). Also will be easier to sell if you decide to close the business.

I have had a Chevy Deuley and car trailer for more then 20 years and they get used all the time (mostly by friends who need help). I just recently (last week) purchased my first deuce and am currently waiting on my EUC to clear. I also purchased two 105 trailers the week before.

For me these are toys, but I am hoping to make money with them also. I have a contract with a small movie studio in the town where I live. So hopefully the movies will rent them once in a while. But even if they don't, I will have fun playing in the desert with them.

Good Luck
Avn-Tech

dobyg75

some of the things that i have noticed that have not been said is the tire's on the yanmar are great for mud and dirt they don't have that much ground contact so therefore it's more chance to slip and fall the other is you could buy a half way decent trailer for 2,000ish another is the deuce weighs 13,500 empty? just want to make sure so if you add the 10,000 that's 23,500lbs The DOT makes you get a cdl for the GVWR not how much the truck weighs at the time of weigh in so you can only carry 2,500lbs thats pretty much the trailer empty if it's a bobcat trailer so you would need a cdl A in order to carry any of your tractors

rlwm211

Commercial vehicles require proper lighting and that will be an issue for your DOT friends if you have an opportunity to spend some "official" time with them with your deuce in commercial service.

The military does not worry about clearance lights and marker lights. They put a minimum of lights on a deuce. If you can score a newer version, the M35A3, you would have more in terms of lights and "modern" compliance, but will still need to make some additions to the basic vehicle.

I installed a receiver on the back of my deuce and it is mounted so the receiver pocket is about 28" from the ground. I use a 6" drop hitch for a smaller single axle trailer I pull and it works out pretty well. I am under the weight where I would need brakes on the trailer so I do not have a controller. I installed a separate set of 24 volt lights on the trailer and left the 12 volt lights on the trailer as well for when I pull it with my Suburban.

I am operating strictly non-professionally and I have historic plates on my truck.

I believe you are right about the DEUCE being a great attention getter. As it was mentioned above, use a low dual axle trailer to haul your equipment and you will do fine.

Just my two cents

RL

XM 2742

Good buy.

I just got a 52 gas model and am not very concerned about fuel prices. Just use the thing for turning a profit and the customer pays the fuel ........ besides there are plenty of civilian trucks that get the same mileage and are used in business.

I will "work" mine on a farm and in all honesty it is cheaper in many respects than a tractor.

The bed will be modified to dump and I plan to build a removeable module for a spray tank and a few other tools.

You will find that versitility will pay the fuel prices and that there are many jobs that only the duece will do.............I plan to pull a plow.

wascomatw74

might check with local mobile home outfit about trailer. one in madison in offered trailer no deck dbl axel elec brakes $250 had many some 3axel higher price. yes frame and tung/hitch. used to deliver sectional housing he said. just a thought good luck

jblack6527

Hey DFO, I think you're off to a great start with your business idea, I've always thought a deuce would make the perfect work truck, simply because of the affordability, and ease of repair.

Kind of off topic, but are you also a member on RoR? I've seen the same screen name over there, think he has a dodge dually also.

Hope its OK to pull out the thread excavator and bring this one out of its grave... :grin:

With the way the economy was/is heading I decided to stay in school. I'm currently working on getting my automotive degree at a local community college. Not sure what I'll do after these couple years are finished, I'm thinking about specializing in diesel mechanics.

I made it as far as purchasing a 12,000lb. equipment trailer. I'm hoping to sell my Bobcat soon (actually, trade for a Terramite backhoe + some cash), and I'm still itching for a Deuce. Between work and school I really don't have much free time right now but I would still love to find a Deuce that I can wrench on and make it into the vehicle that I've always wanted.

I've noticed fewer and fewer of these trucks on Craigslist... I'm guessing the supply is starting to dry up a bit. Prices seem to start around $3500 and go up from there occasionally.

Anyway... off to check out the classifieds section. I'll be on the lookout for any trucks around the central NC area if my Bobcat sells soon...

saddamsnightmare

March 17th, 2010.

Dieselfuelonly:

I have a 1971 M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" in icon annexed. I paid under 5 grand for her from a member on here and I have about 3,000 in repairs and upgrades in 3 years this October coming up. One of the upgrades was an Air-o-MAtic steering unit, the other two were the cargo cover & bows (new) and new soft cab top and used bows (she had the cold weather steel cab top, too cold in winter & too hot in summer). Currently she has run about 6000 miles per year, mostly on road. She had gone 1200 miles in her last 5 years in the Army and with her two earlier civillian owners, I ran about 6,000 the first 12 months and have been at that pretty regularly. Like new NDCC tires are about $100.00 each X 10, Goodyear G177 M+S 1100R20 Load range "H" are about $125.00X6 (super singled), should last about 20,000 miles on road.
She should easily pull a Bobcat on a trailer, or if your man enough to do ramps, she could haul 10,000lbs on the road and still be under CDL weight. I would suggest an M35A2C dropside or the 2-1/2 ton dumps, as they have the same capacity and are a little more usefull in your line of work.

Keep in mind: White Owl Parts, Kinston,NC and Berg Tire, Fayetteville, NC, good sources for parts and in the latter case, tires.
+ they are chick magnets!;-)
Good luck,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan[thumbzup]

charlietango

I use mine for job site deliveries with my business so its similar to the work/locations you will be frequenting. EVERYONE remembers that truck so your advertising angle is bang on. I delivered sewer pipe to a guy the other day who works for a local road building company. They run lots of machinery obviously. So I drive in to this mud hole in 6wd with the pipe and asked him where he wanted it. heh. He said 'Jesus, I have seen it all now."

I use mine as a 'fun day' stress reliever. I also run a 2003 K3500 Chev with a duramax and wish I had spent the money on 5 deuces. curse that truck.

anyways, expect some upfront money to get it ready and a bit of maintaining. dont think that because its meant for abuse that it wont drink some money here and there. There is a saying at the repair shop "heavy parts, heavy price".

roscoe

I have only been using my deuce trucks for about a year now but I'm happy with them. Biggest problems I've had is compatability and turning. I plan to put a dump mechanism on one or just buy a 5 ton dump. The drop side is definately handy. I will replace another bed with a dropside if I come across one. I also may super single one in the future. So far I've only had to service them and install new speedometer cables on two. I'm currently looking for a way to change my logo to fit the look of the trucks.

Attachments

Farmun

I built this trailer to pull behind the 4-wheeler and the Jeep. I couldn't figure out to easily load the mower in and get it out of the 105 trailer. This works for now, and you should see the looks I get!!! :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks