• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Putting a Jeep in the bed!

JHS

Hi guys,

I recently built some ramps to put my Cherokee in the bed of my M35a2.

Thought Id share the specs, and a few pictures.

The ramps are ladder style, with 2x3x.120 tube on the sides, and the "rungs" being built out of 3x3x.125 angle iron.

The top lip is 3x6x3/8" angle iron, with two carriage bolts flush welded into the top plate to lock into corresponding holes in the bed I drilled.

4 Buyers bolt on D-rings were used to secure the Jeep, drilling through the ribs and also adding "washer plates" underneath.

My goals were to keep the ramps light enough for one man to maneuver but strong enough for the jeep. Anything heavier Probably shouldn't go in the bed.

The trip I took it on was a 4x4 OHV event called Rocktoberfest, hosted by NAXJA.

Driving from my shop up and down the mountains into New Hampshire was defiantly a chore, I probably wouldn't do a trip with that much elevation and a jeep in the bed again. But it was all for the glory! haha.

It felt like a hot rod after I unloaded the Jeep!

Attachments

JHS

Forgot to mention, they were built Approximately 12' long so they could be stored in the bed!

Last edited:

Shark Bait

Cool. How is the break over point? Does the jeep want to drag? I've thought of a set of ramps for my MK, with a 20ft bed I could go longer to lesson the rake but may tend to be heavy ramps.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the feeling of hauling a vehicle up there but the WOW factor is off the chain in a crowd.

JHS

break over fells scary, but looks fine. plenty of room, the jeeps only 3.5" lifted, Wow factor was the primary objective haha rofl

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For longer runs, I think you could just fab up something that could attach
to the middle and have a way to adjust its height. Aka landing leg type thing.
Just my 2 cents

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The last time I unloaded a vehicle out of the bed of a deuce I ran the front end of the deuce up on some heavy ramps to lessen the angle of the unloading ramps. If you can raise the front up a foot or so it really makes the angle of attack a lot easier. Just my rambling thoughts.

JHS

It was 11' 6" liberally. Which surprised me. A droptop XJ would be cool, but I'm not sure using a bridge would be the best idea. :)

JHS

Wreckerman and Firefox, those are pretty good ideas! Great point with the front end.

JHS

IMG_20141228_154141.jpgIMG_20141228_154210.jpg

One of the holes in the bed to receive the carriage bolts the other of the underside of the angle iron

JHS

Firefox- great idea for the newer rigs, I'd like CTIS on mine but haven't looked into it honestly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks