• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

putting a tach on a 6.2

Darwin T

i know it can be done. mine came with one that worked off the harmonic ballance. but i had to change the harmonic balance and the new one did not have the hole to put the magnetic button in. so now i have the tach in the dash but i has not got it working again.

PS. yes i know this is an old post as to the 6.2

Attachments

southdave

I picked up a HMMWV tach on ebay, but no wiring and no bracket. Other than Kascar, can you point me to sources for my missing pieces? Many thanks.
I bought mine from the manufacture out of Rhode Island (FARIA) and got the pickup (tach drive )off a hmmwv motor.. the kit came with everything for about 175 bucks
http://www.faria-instruments.com/military.php

Attachments

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good thread,

This is on my list as well. I like the Tiny Tach idea. Looks good and functional. Thanks for the good info.

tmike

I like the 0-4000 range that many marine diesel tachs have. Not to mention their ruggedness. This is the tach that I (think) am ordering. If I'm not mistaken, all that is necessary for obtaining a tach signal is connecting to the "R" terminal on the Alternator. From what I gathered (via google), this Tach has a built in voltage conditioner/pulse circuit making it an easy install. I'm calling Livorsi Monday for verification. I'll let y'all know.

EDIT -- FYI: Livorsi has modified most of their tach's to accept the water proof "DCH" connectors. The Tach that I found on ebay was the old style "GL"series tach. Their "DC" series tachs come with the improved waterproof 4-pin "DCH" connector with 18 inch leads.

TMike

Attachments

Last edited:

tmike

Follow-up:

I just got off the phone with the Livorsi rep. All Livorsi "alternator driven" tachometers use the "R" terminal or any one of the ac legs of the windings for a signal. Thus, there is no need for additional components making the install more difficult or complicated. I'll be going with Livorsi.

TMike

1/16/12 EDIT: ONLY the DC4000DA series tachs are adjustable for different pulley ratios. I purchased the GL4000DA off ebay. But by pure chance the tach is dead on accurate for my M1009 -- with original pulley size.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TMike;

It would be very helpful if you would photo-document your tach install and post them in this thread for all of us who would like to add a tach.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Gresham
Paris, KY

cpf240

Follow-up:

I just got off the phone with the Livorsi rep. All Livorsi "alternator driven" tachometers use the "R" terminal or any one of the ac legs of the windings for a signal. Thus, there is no need for additional components making the install more difficult or complicated. I'll be going with Livorsi.

TMike
Will you just tap into the diag connector wiring for the alternator tach connection? If you can do that, it would save running a wire to the alt.

Where to you plan to mount the gauge?

tmike

Will you just tap into the diag connector wiring for the alternator tach connection? If you can do that, it would save running a wire to the alt....
More than likely I will use the STE/ICE wiring - and yes it prevents me from making another firewall penetration.

...Where to you plan to mount the gauge?
Tentatively my plans are to mount it just above the volt meter on the aluminum dash cover that I'm making. Its nothing fancy, just a functional no frills piece of aluminum - for GPS, tach, oil, and water temp gauges... etc.

Per Sharecropper's request, I will take detailed photos of my tach installation. But its going to be a while. I will be leaving today or tomorrow and won' t be back for three or four weeks. I'll post my install to this thread when I'm done.

TMike

Attachments

tmike

UPDATE:

I accidentally made it home for a couple of days, as a result I was able to test my new Livorsi GL4000DAPLPLH tach that had arrived a few days earlier.

Simple test:

I hooked up (3) wires -- 12v, Ground, and the Alternator "Phase Tap" (brown wire off of Tach Buffer module under dash)

Results:

At idle: A tad over 700 RPM

At 60 : 2100 RPM to 2300 (uphill it went higher, downhill lower - transmission slip)

The tach does not bounce - it seems very responsive to input, very smooth, and accurate. I know the accuracy is correct because I tested the actual rpms with both my oscilloscope and my hand held frequency counter. My freq counter put my idle RPMs at 712 with a slight fluctuation of 10 or so rpms.

Note: This tach is NOT a true alternator driven tach as advertised on EBAY. This particular outdated model is a precursor to livorsi's true Alternator Driven tachometers. The DC4000DA series tachs. However, this tach does have an option for an Alternator connection on Mercury, OMC, Yamaha, and other outboard motors with 10 or 12 pole alternators. --- I believe the only reason that this tach works with CUCV's is pure coincidence (Livorsi Rep concurs). If you change pulley size there is NO way to compensate the ratio change. I am keeping this tach - for $72.99 you can't beat it. (same seller has them at a buy it now price for $79.99)

FYI -- I have the original pulley on my cucv M1009.

For the pulley/crank ratio adjustable version go with the Livorsi DC4000DA series tachometer instead.

When I get back home I will post "how to" pics of the actual install. So for any of you wondering if Livorsi tachs are easy to install (they are) and actually work (they do). Just remember that my EBAY purchased GL4000DA tach has NO pulley/crank ratio compensation.

EDIT:

FYI- I went to an online rpm calculator site and checked my rpm's based on the actual tire diameter (29"), 3.08 diff, and 1:1 trans output.

at 60 MPH the RPM is suppose to be 2198 (w/auto trans) --- My Ebay GL4000DA Livorsi tach registered 2200.

Attachments

Last edited:

tmike

What is the outside diameter of that tachometer
The Body diameter is 3 3/8"

The Bezel Rim diameter is 3 11/16"

The main body is only 1 7/8" deep. However the total depth is 2 7/8 when including the 3/4"settings cap, 1/2" light bulb holder, 3/4" terminal bolts, and the 1" mounting studs.

Attachments

tmike

Epiphany:

On my tach, the Livorsi GL4000DAPLPLH, I used the 8 cyl / 4 pulse setting and I got perfect results. I realized after looking at the Livorsi's website that almost all of their gauges(except for their "Alternator Driven" tachs XX-XXXX-DA and some others) have that setting -- for gas, diesel, industrial etc.

So my epiphany is that any of those tachs with the 8 cyl / 4 pulse setting will work perfect as long as you are using the original CUCV alternator and crank pulleys.

I have not spoken with the Livorsi rep -- but logic would dictate that it should work just like mine.

TMike

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks