• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

putting a tach on a 6.2

tmike

...how many poles are in the stock alternator?
16 (27SI) -- per the Delco Remy specification guide for the SI series Alternators.

Where is this?
Alternator "Phase Tap" (brown wire off of Tach Buffer module under dash)
Thanks
It is the "R" terminal on your Alternator - that is the "phase Tap". It comes directly off the diode pack (rectifier). A "phase tap" is connected to any one of the three winding terminals on the rectifier- one of the three "phases". That wire then goes to the Tach Buffer Module next to the STE/ICE port. It goes through the Tach Buffer Module before heading out to the STE/ICE diagnostic port. The Tach Buffer module conditions the phase tap signal --- but in my case the wave form directly out of the Alternator was by far the cleanest that I could find. I probed every port number on the plug. Maybe I have a bad tach buffer module.??

To make things more orderly I am in the process of writing up a PDF that can be used for general description of the Alternator, associated wiring, and tachometer installation. This will answer all questions concerning a tachometer installation in a CUCV. I will complete this when i return home. Leaving tomorrow morning at six. Be back in 2-3 weeks.

TMike

Last edited:

Craig C

Write up

TMike have you been able to do that PDF write up as yet??

Anyone else have one installed and where did you put it?

Thanks,

Timber

I hooked up (3) wires -- 12v, Ground, and the Alternator "Phase Tap" (I hooked up (3) wires -- 12v, Ground, and the Alternator "Phase Tap" (brown wire off of Tach Buffer module under dash)
)
I hate to admit it; I do like to do basic wiring but I can't read an electrical schematic. I've only done the doghead starter relay mod because someone was nice enough to post pics of the thing. That worked out well, btw. But I'd appreciate it if someone would post a pic of the brown wire off of the Tach Buffer module under dash. I can do this with the info given, but I'd also like to avoid running another wire through the firewall. I really would greatly appreciate it if you or anyone else so inclined would post a pic of this. That'd make it sticky-worthy imho. Thanks.

I'll be trying an Autogauge 2" diesel tach soon. It has one hook-up for the alternator and the choice of 4, 6, or 8 cylinders. It also has a means of adjustment, but I haven't figured it out yet as the directions consisted of a couple very basic drawings. Only the best in cheapo japa-chi-tawa-nese...