• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

putting a tach on a 6.2

AndrewH

I think the alternators have a tach terminal. It is used with the STE ICE I think. I'll have to go get a lil smarter about this before I can provide a useful post. -Andrew

BLK HMMWV

They make a Tach upgrade kit for the HMMWV's with the 6.2.
I have yet to actually wire it up I just installed the bracket and Tach itself a few days ago.
I'm guessing the same tach would work in your CUCV.
It came with the wiring harness and everything but again the kit I got was for a HMMWV.

Grega

I installed a 2inch issopro tach right next to the volt meter on mt m1009. Ordered the tach with a inductive pickup that you bolt to the oil pan and then you glue 2 magnets 180 degrees apart on the harmonic dampener. Seams to work good and accurate too. No need to calibrate as what you should do with some that work off the alternator.

Barrman

There are also pulse pick up types that go off an injector line. It can be done. The problem is that no matter which way you do it. the cost is going to be double to triple that of putting a tach on a gasoline engine.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the Auto Meter tach posted above. It will need to be manually calibrated after it is installed. That means you still need a tach to set it. I used a Kent-Moore Tach-N-time(professional diesel tach)

The Tiny Tach(brand) is the simplest install(no calibrating) and sells on eBay for around $100.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that is your simplest option.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1/4" OD lines

motormayhem

Well I thew the tiny tach in a while ago and forgot to post up some pics here. It was really easy to install and seems to work great. For the install there want much room to fit it next to the batt gauge, but you can make it work by epoxying it in from the back, the wires are long enough to still let you remove the dash to change bulbs, etc. I also like the service interval timers and hourmeter. I think with a bezel around the rough cut edges this should be pretty nice.

Attachments

Screamin' Metal

Autometer is the best, easiest, cheapet way to go. About 135 bucks for tach and pickup. If you want accuracy, go with Isspro Diesel tach. Pickup is extra, not included.....just depends what you want....

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They make a Tach upgrade kit for the HMMWV's with the 6.2.
I have yet to actually wire it up I just installed the bracket and Tach itself a few days ago.
I'm guessing the same tach would work in your CUCV.
It came with the wiring harness and everything but again the kit I got was for a HMMWV.
I picked up a HMMWV tach on ebay, but no wiring and no bracket. Other than Kascar, can you point me to sources for my missing pieces? Many thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks