• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Putting disc brakes on a deuce

M211guy

The M211's i got have no brakes whatsoever on the axles, they took and put a disk brake sustem on the front rear differential. What i was thinking of doing is putting a disc brake system on one of these trucks as well. They took all the hubs off front and back. I am actually suprised by the stopping power of the one caliper set up but know it is not sufficient enough for the weight.

Question is:

Has anyone ever put disc brakes on one of the old trucks they have??

Section8

I am looking into doing this conversion also.
In the hotrod/modification forum on the site there is a guy that has put disc brakes on his M35a2. Says he loves it and it has tons of stopping power. That being said his rig is also a bobber. The conversion kit he installed on his rig if for the square tubed rockwell axles. The conversion was also 2000 grand for two axles! Bit pricey!
Since the M211 and M135 have GM CORP axles with Eaton diffs we have round axle tubes.
Modifications will be different.
I have found rotors that are 15 inches in diameter and with the proper bolt pattern of 6x8.75 from a Ford F700 during the late 80's.
Front rotor: Napa # NB 4886056
Rear rotor: Napa # UP 85863
Keep in mind that the rear rotor has a t least a 6 inch offset from the hub face to the rotor facing. The fronts look like a standard rotor for any light truck.
The master cylinder (power brake) system could be robbed out of a modern 5 ton with hydrolic brakes. The calipers used in the afor mentioned kit are from a Forf F550 I believe. How ever I don't know why a person couldn't used calipers from a 80's donor truck if your lucky enough to find one!
If in that case just take the whole brake system and your smiling!!
All you will have to do is make caliper mounts off of the back plate of the hub.
Hope this long winded speel helps!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't know if thats why they are out or not. I just know I don't think that is enough stopping power imho.

KsM715

Not to mention that if you break an axle, you have no brakes what-so-ever.

steve6x6. (Think that's his user name) builds disc brake setups for rock wellsrock wells

M211guy

I don't know if thats why they are out or not. I just know I don't think that is enough stopping power imho.
The accident isnt the reason they closed, the Lady that owned it ran it 30 years and was ready to retire. One accident in 30 years seems a pretty good record actually. Anyhow, someone else purchased the company and did not want the tour part so thats how I ended up with all the trucks!!

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW , talk about tempting faith , pinion brake only , no rops of anykind , on a 60 year old truck with at best defered maintenance . I would not move the vehicle in a parking lot , no less up and down a mountain .

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any particular reason that you would want disk brakes on the GMC's
The GM brakes that came on them are superior in stopping power than any disk brake system. The GMC's had 50% more braking capability than the M35's, and even they will lock the tires. What more do you want, the tires are the limiting factor.
Pinion brakes are bad news except as parking brakes for all the reasons listed above.

Section8

I would think the reason for putting disc breaks on one of these trucks, such as I would like to do, is for convenience factors. Parts are not that readily available any more foe these trucks.
I waould like to use my rig, if I ever get it going, as much as possible and being able to go to my local small town parts store and get brake parts if I need then easily sure helps.
I agree the stopping power of the stock brakes seems as though it is better than most typical systems!! I would love to keep the stock brakes but I don't really have a sytem in place. My master cylinder was just a big chunck of rust. I think the previous owner just used the parking brake.
I sourced looking into having my brake pads relined when needed and was simply told good luck or your pay more than they are worth and will be waiting for a long time for them to get done if they get sent away.

Running the number of trucks they had for the years they had them finding brake parts should not be a problem if maintenance was done as it should be . It's hard to belive that the factory brakes where disconected and a home made system added on trucks that give rides to the public .

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Disk brakes would be an improvement as long as you upgrade to a modern 2 chamber master cylinder. It would take some engineering. The original brakes do lock up when they are functioning as they should. The problem is that ANY leak will cause a loss/reduction of your braking power. I installed new, master cyls, wheel cyls and rebuilt air packs in my trucks. The shoes and drums were good. Then I added seatbelts so people would not slam into the windshield when I hit the brakes. Then I blew a hose to an axle and I have no brakes. I mean nothing. This is 60 year old technology, maybe good in its time, but definitely not superior to what runs on the highways today.

Any way, if I find a Genie in a bottle, I'd wish for 3 things:
-Modern brakes
-Power steering
-Modern transmission

M211guy

I am looking into doing this conversion also.
In the hotrod/modification forum on the site there is a guy that has put disc brakes on his M35a2. Says he loves it and it has tons of stopping power. That being said his rig is also a bobber. The converpsion kit he installed on his rig if for the square tubed rockwell axles. The conversion was also 2000 grand for two axles! Bit pricey!
Since the M211 and M135 have GM CORP axles with Eaton diffs we have round axle tubes.
Modifications will be different.
I have found rotors that are 15 inches in diameter and with the proper bolt pattern of 6x8.75 from a Ford F700 during the late 80's.
Front rotor: Napa # NB 4886056
Rear rotor: Napa # UP 85863
Keep in mind that the rear rotor has a t least a 6 inch offset from the hub face to the rotor facing. The fronts look like a standard rotor for any light truck.
The master cylinder (power brake) system could be robbed out of a modern 5 ton with hydrolic brakes. The calipers used in the afor mentioned kit are from a Forf F550 I believe. How ever I don't know why a person couldn't used calipers from a 80's donor truck if your lucky enough to find one!
If in that case just take the whole brake system and your smiling!!
All you will have to do is make caliper mounts off of the back plate of the hub.
Hope this long winded speel helps!
Now that is.some useful info

M211guy

They didn't just disconnect them. They took all the drums and brake plates off all the way around. I figured if I'm gonna go through the trouble of putting em back on I might as well upgrade. I'm not even sure the brake lines are.there still...

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well at least when you get done putting the trucks back together everything will be new........

nattieleather

If I was going to upgrade the brakes on a M211 (which will stop on a dime and give 8.5 cents change BTW in stock configuration) I think I would look at the braking systems on things like GM Top Kick or other heavy duty trucks. Also instead of going to NAPA for the parts I would truck a truck parts store. One that specializes in big trucks for a rotor and caliper. Big trucks need big brakes. I think some fabrication skills are going to be needed to do this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks