• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Putting larger tires on the deuce using stock rims...

Norsemen308

My plan is to install a set of 14.00-20 Michelin XLs on stock m35a2 rims, is this a possibility? sorry for the newb questions just getting my ducks in a row!

Marlboro

No, They will not clear on the back tandems, even bobbed you should have a little lift . Lots of posts on bigger tires on deuce's, Even one where a gentleman spread his back axles to fit 14.00's. :drool:

Jimma

395's will work. I recently had a local tire dealer mount my 395's on stock rims and it works. You can use the flaps that are inside your rims now but you will need to get larger tubes. I think the tubes they put in mine are either 12x20 or 14 x 20 tubes.

91W350

I noticed a couple of my wheels were stamped with a warning not to install anything larger than a 1200. The stock wheels that is. I think they were also stamped Goodyear. Glen

hdexpert

Tubes

395's will work. I recently had a local tire dealer mount my 395's on stock rims and it works. You can use the flaps that are inside your rims now but you will need to get larger tubes. I think the tubes they put in mine are either 12x20 or 14 x 20 tubes.
I have the correct tubes you need for the 395's, $40 each plus shipping.

hdmax

Many here run wide tires such as the 14.00's and 395's on the stock rims. I would not! As you are sure to get tire roll over much easier on a narrow rim like the stock one. I would never go less than 10-11 inches wide on the wheel for that wide a tire. Many years ago, it was practiced to keep the rim width to within about an inch of the tread width. (However everyone seems to have there own rule of thumb.)
As I stated, many do it, so it can be done, but at what cost?
And if you decide to go that route, never carry a heavy load, because the tires will be stressed to extremes, and that is very dangerous.

Last edited:

Sephirothq

I have 3 sets of tires and wheels planned for my bobbed duece.

1. 14.50 x 20 MPT
2. 395, X 20
3. 10.00 x 22.5

All tubeless and all proper tires/ wheels

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
big tires will hurt the off road performance, increase the braking distance and cost more than the OD gear set available. are you just doing this because you think it looks cool?

tom

Norsemen308

but the npt's are goofy looking, i dont know how a larger tire hurts off road performance as it gives you greater floating qualities... you cannot tell me a npt is a great off road tire when it meets mud or anything slick..

treeguy

I had originally thought, like you, that the bigger the better and the COOLER! But after talking with various people and doing some reading here I now think otherwise. There are many threads here about tires, take your time and flip thru some. Like m-35Tom said, consider the wear on the drive gear and breaks, also there is the rim issue. I agree that the 9/20 ndts look funny, but check out some trucks here that have 11.00/20's singled or duals they look nice. There is also a larger variety of rubber out there like Michilin, Firestone, and I think others. Stock deuce rims will still give you a skinny stance from the front view, but read up, m34 rims have about a 1" offset to the outside and there are others here that have popped out the rivets on stock rims and flipped the dish, WAY COOL! I know, big tires on a big truck, but there are bigger trucks than the deuce. When you break something like an axle or burn up you bearings or drive shaft, you'll kick yourself you didn't win the lottery. Just my thoughts, you can certainly do what you like.
:driver:

197thhhc

395s work great on stock rims. That is what we have on our singled out test mule. You do have to use a bigger tube. We used 1400x20 tubes and they have had no issues. Also note our test mule is used as a daily driver and runs about 50 miles a day. You can use 1400x20s but the stock wheels will cause a rub when turning in the front. an M34 wheel will help a little. Even a 395 will rub a little in the front. The Bobbed deuce we are building now will have M34 rims and we will see if that helps the 395s to rub less. The next non bobbed 6x6 we build will have stock rims with the centers reversed and rewelded. I think this will eliminate all rubbing issues. Ted

91W350

I thought I wanted 395s, then I saw a nice looking truck with 11.00x20s on it, Michelins. They really look nice. The more time I spend with these 900x20s though, the more I seem to like them. I do have all Titan T-Hawks in like new condition on mine now. NDTs are dangerous on the ice and I pushed my steering axle several times in snow, still, of you have a little common sense, they worked great for me. I think if I was trying to run down the highway on ice I would want a radial. Glen

hdmax

NDT's of the same size and tread depth will go better overall off road, (As long as tread design is for this type of driving!) directional tires will go better in one direction, while not doing so good in the other direction.

Where the larger tires such as the 395's shine is in ground clearance. The 395 will raise the differentials, bumpers and everything else up approximately 3-3 1/2" compared to the 9.00x20's.
But at the same time, the truck becomes much more prone to roll over, you lose some of the already underpowered performance of these trucks, braking distance increases significantly, cost of replacement goes up. (However 4, or 6 395's should last 2-3 times longer than ten 9.00x20 NDT, so that may be a wash!)
But I like many prefer the look and stance of the big tires.

Norsemen308

okay, i am not here to start a pissing match but these are my thoughts.

a bobbed deuce loses anywhere from 2000-5000 pounds people say. and it loses a driving axle...
now you remove another drive axle which puts load on the transmission and the axle infront of it, and the engine, clutch, everything in the drivetrain, and you pull 5,000 pounds off the vehicle...

I would think the vehicle will stop better then a stock duece, be quicker then a stock duece, and those tires i would think would not be putting the same stress on the truck as 5,000 pounds of extra crap...

again this is just a thought of mine... I was looking at the 20 inch semi tires, that would work just as well...

I also heard that these trucks are getting better cruising speed gas mileage because to drops down the gear ratio with the larger tires?

spicergear

Off road performance is hurt because of the great loss of suspension articulation.

The A3 wheel has the smaller lip at the bead and *shouldn't* be used for non MPT tires. Do people do it- Yes. Is it against what the manufacturer suggests- Yes. Are there other wheels that would be better and same or less cost- Yes...

Also, click on the link in M35 Tom's signature. His taller overdrive gear set is pretty sweet.

Danger Ranger

I don't own a deuce to speak from experience, so I won't, but I can tell you to use the search function to find more info. THere are many threads on tires and/or rims here on SS. YOu could also PM some of the members running the setup you are looking for to see what their thoughts on it are.

DanoBonanno

Man there is some good stuff on this page...so, I have a question and value some opinions. I have an m35a2 with a van box, it is being converted in too a preppers delight, the ultimate overland tiny home. I want to be able to have more off road capabilities because while we travel, it will be mostly off of the beaten path. What would be the biggest, most aggressive tread, that I could fit on the stock rims, with keeping duals. I do plan on doing a disc brake conversion as well...my rig in the pic (The Green Bastard)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks