• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Putting tires on a A3,help with seating.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I have a couple questionso n the A3 tires. I pulled the tires today from the rim to pull maint. when I go to put the 2 piece rim back together on the tire and air it up it sounds like a slow leak from where the 2 piece rims meets each other around the L shape valve stem from the rim.
What does the Army or you use to put your rims back together without air leaking from the rim and tire? Thank you

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you have the 2 piece rims . CTIS ?? there is an O ring that the 2 pieces seat together with and a rubber seal on the valve stem. Do you have the beadlocks? if so the slot should line up with the valve stem. I also use tire soap along the rim as filling if no beadlocks. I hope this helps

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I might have to explain this one on the phone. I didnt take the rim out of the tire all the way, I took the outter ring off and put the beads in to balance them then bolted them back together , put them back on the truck , hooked up the ctis stuff , air them up and thats when you hear the air. -Jay

Last edited:

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I checked LOGSA also , I dont understand why there wouldnt be a -20 for a mechanic to figure out how to work on a A3 when it breaks. Well I know the Army so... :p
I still cant figure this one out

Nonotagain

I checked LOGSA also , I dont understand why there wouldnt be a -20 for a mechanic to figure out how to work on a A3 when it breaks. Well I know the Army so... :p
I still cant figure this one out
TM 9-2610-200-24 is listed as the manual for working on pnuematic tires.

I attempted pulling this manual up but it wasn't found either.

edited. If you search LOGSA using a text search for "TIRE" the TM shows up close to the bottom of the page. All 10mb of it.

Last edited:

breelanr

Jay,
There are two seals involved, the o-ring between the two wheel halves and the rubber grommet where the valve stem enters the wheel. The o-ring and mating surfaces must be absolutely clean when the wheel halves are put back together. Any rust or grit stuck between the seal and mating surface will cause a leak. The o-ring can be reused if it is not damaged, but a new o-ring is best. The grommet can dry out and crack or the nut that holds the valve stem in place may loosen up if the valve stem tube is moved around too much.

I've also put a THIN coat of slime on the o-ring prior to reassembly to assist with a good seal.

Rocket Seals in Denver have the o-rings and Myers Tire Supply has the grommets. I will try to locate the part numbers for you.

DUECE-COUPE

if you are experiencing an air leak around the or near the valve area, then it is in fact a failed "O" ring. you will have to order new o rings and replane them.. this is not an uncommon problem with combat rims, and once the O ring is replaced, you should enjoy a few years of trouble free tire life.

rwoods

If you still need the TM's*, pm me with your address and I'll burn and send you a cd. Erik's has the o-rings. Let us know if the beads work. Ron

*I have the wmo for the air relief valve (some of the kits are on e-bay right now - just search m35a3); the operator's manual; the two volume maintenance and direct support manual; a lubrication order and the repair and special tool manual.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Ray and guys, This might sound like our Military but there wasnt a gasket that was between the two rims. But on one there was some silicon that they might have used as a gasket? Will that work in the place of one or should I wait and get the parts from a MV dealer or someone.
When I take them back down im going to check and see if the nut that holds the valve stem in place and see if the grommet looks ok. I had no idea the rims like thease were such a pain, the old combat rims are cake now :-D - Jay

Last edited:

rwoods

Ray and guys, This might sound like our Military but there wasnt a gasket that was between the two rims. But on one there was some silicon that they might have used as a gasket? Will that work in the place of one or should I wait and get the parts from a MV dealer or someone.
When I take them back down im going to check and see if the nut that holds the valve stem in place and see if the grommet looks ok. I had no idea the rims like thease were such a pain, the old combat rims are cake now :-D - Jay
Believe me I feel your pain and I only changed one. I paid the local Farmer's Coop $50 per tire to do the other five. Unless you really need the truck now, I would wait until you can get the proper o-ring. I would also clean and prepare the mating surfaces while I had the wheel apart - I didn't and guess which one of my tires leaks. aua Ron

rwoods

I believe I have a new o-ring from Erik's. I can put it in the mail after church today if you want and you can order me a replacement. Just let me know. Ron

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
By O ring you mean the gasket that goes all the way around the rim rwoods? If it is I might just order 6 for all of the tires. Maybe just maybe White Owl will have them if not Eriks here I call. -Jay

rwoods

By O ring you mean the gasket that goes all the way around the rim rwoods? If it is I might just order 6 for all of the tires. Maybe just maybe White Owl will have them if not Eriks here I call. -Jay
The o-ring goes between the two halves of the wheel; item 8 in the illustration. Ron

Can't get illustration to load, sorry. It fits over the stepped down of the larger rim piece and the smaller rim piece squeezes against it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks