• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pyrometer probe location

Valor

Hello all. I'm getting ready to install an EGT gauge to my M923A2 engine and was wondering where to place the thermocouple probe. Here is a pic of my exhaust manifold with an area that I highlighted in white as a possible location. Any thoughts?M923A2 exhaust manifld.jpg

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not put it in the flange.. I would put it just below that. But you will only see three of the pistons. So you may want to get a EGT that has two probes.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I would use the downpipe. It will be 150 degrees cooler than what the Manifold is as a rule of thumb.

Lukes_deuce

Right there where I marked in red is the proper location. In the center between the two halves is solid so don’t get into that. This will give a reading on the rear 3 cylinders which run a touch hotter than the front 3.
This is where I have it on my truck and on countless other motors. Keep it to a max of 1200F sustained and you will be good to go! I suggest using a 1/8" NPT probe.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right there where I marked in red is the proper location. In the center between the two halves is solid so don’t get into that. This will give a reading on the rear 3 cylinders which run a touch hotter than the front 3.
Yep,UploadFile1606766547.058201.jpg
that’s where mine is.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you gonnah get out all the tools and taps and lard and everything just put a threaded hole on both sides. Sort of like aircraft engines. You already got everything in hand, might as well make two. Another two minutes in iron. Put a plug in the one you ain't usin 'till you get a dual proper reading thingie.
Hey, I would.

Valor

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I think I'll go with putting the probe in the manifold like where crf450x and others mentioned. That should work good. Thanks Luke's_deuce for mentioning the max temp that I should watch for. Time to get out the drill and tap!

Defcon-1

Question about this, I know I'm bumping an old-thread. How does this work if your engine has a turbo? How do you stop the metal shavings from the drilling and tapping from going down and into the turbo?

charlesmann

Question about this, I know I'm bumping an old-thread. How does this work if your engine has a turbo? How do you stop the metal shavings from the drilling and tapping from going down and into the turbo?
Several ways. Some say do it with the engine running so it blows the chips out. Some say use a vacuum and suck the chips while drilling and tapping. Some say pack the flutes with grease to make the chips stick to the grease and wipe frequently.

I watch a machinist on yt and he uses cutting lubricant called anchor lube and even power tapping, i see the chips hold really well to the drill and tap using that paste.

More work, esp if ya break bolts off in the head or manifold, but taking the manifold or a minimum, the turbo off would a more correct way, but none of the other ways exactly wrong, till they arent and a turbo gets fodded.
but the little amount chips that might make it past a vacuum, more than likely wont fod out the turbo.

Lukes_deuce

I used a large shop vac while drilling and tapping. Once I was about to break through the manifold, I started the engine up and finished the hole. I also used the shop vac to suck out anything from the hole/manifold. Ive done multiple trucks this way and never had a problem.

Defcon-1

I used a large shop vac while drilling and tapping. Once I was about to break through the manifold, I started the engine up and finished the hole. I also used the shop vac to suck out anything from the hole/manifold. Ive done multiple trucks this way and never had a problem.
That's a really good idea, thanks for the hint. Did your EGT probe come with a tap? Or are they 1/8"NPT? Just trying to get prepared. What gauge did you go with too? Still shopping around for that and the probe...

DeMilitarized

That's a really good idea, thanks for the hint. Did your EGT probe come with a tap? Or are they 1/8"NPT? Just trying to get prepared. What gauge did you go with too? Still shopping around for that and the probe...
I use a 3 in one gloshift dial style boost gauge with a digital egt reading and digital engine temp reading. Mounted on the A pillar on eye level. The new model of gloshift gauges can change color depending on the amount of heat you are producing so you dont have to glance over as much you can see the color out of your periferal vision.

This is what I am using. If you have worse eyes than the next option may be better to watch the egt gauge.

This one you can program with an audiable beep and change colors when your egt is too high.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks