• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pyrometers, options, mounts...

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove it to work today. I saw 9PSI at 900 degrees uphill hard at 2500RPM, and 6 PSI at 700 degrees on flat road at 55. the guage reads 15 max, so it is just fine.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
Where to get a pyrometer?

Where is the best place to get a pyrometer? Is there a difference in brands/performance?
I'm converting mine in a week and want to go ahead and install one before the turbo addition.

Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Where to get a pyrometer?

Even if you can't have a pyro in your hands when you do the swap, you can always drill and tap the manifold then plug it until the gauge arrives.

jasonjc

I just ordered another one for my other truck from dieselmanor.com It's an Isspro R3607TR-at in 24 volt and comes with the led and the probe. The 24volt was a special order at $153.

jwaller

westach.com if they dont have exactly what you want they can make it. I just ordered one today for the 5T. even had them paint a red arch from 1200deg and up.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor

SUMMIT RACING, vdo and is dc amp typeso is much more sensitive and accurate. about $60 for everything. includes fittings, probe, wiring, you will need resistor for 24 volt op avail at radio shack cheap

mangus580

I Merged both the Mounting, and where to buy with the topic Doghead found... thanks doghead!!

It makes sense to put it all together...

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Panel is Autometer clamped with a u bolt. The R607 1200 pyrometer has a post turbo probe. Gauges were chosen to get full use of the dials. The back of the new boost gauge had to be painted black as the clear plastic lets a lot of light thru. IP is set for 12.5psi at 2500rpm. Turbo is the D.

Below is a good source, much lower $ than the Isspro site.

http://www.usdieselparts.com/R3607TRKIT.cfm

http://www.usdieselparts.com/universalanaloggauges.cfm

Here is where i found my discounted boost gauge (Don's):

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult3.asp?Type=Manifold_Pressure&Series=EVA_R&Units=E

more stuff from Don's
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_grou.asp?Series=EVA_R

http://www.egauges.com/eg_typeI.asp...Bezel=All&Needle=All&Diameter=All&Manf=ISSPRO

JimK

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, any K-type thermocouple will work with any gauge.
If you don't have a bundle to spend on this, don't compromise on the probe and get the best quality probe obtainable (Hewitt is up there), so you don't have to worry about anything melting and ruining your turbo.

The gauges can be found in truck salvage yards for about $20.00.

The boost gauge can be any pressure indicating gauge with the proper range, also about 20 buckaroos.

Jim, I like the simplicity of your mount.

It's fun to see how these mods catch on, makes me feel old.....after the air intake elbow, fording mods, flipped hubs etc, what's next, the turn signal buzzer?......

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks, I was looking for a utilitarian look. like the cab.

Autometer also makes a single,dual and triple panel.

I think the 'melting probe' fear comes from an extremely rare event, one almost always was caused by someone who had a pyrometer and failed to use it. Like Will W's example of some bone head getting twice the HP out of his commercial rig by turning up the pump. The pyrometer should protect it's probe. I ,too, feel a quality probe is important. It allows for accurate readings and avoids a manufacturer who might be tempted to substitute a sub-standard/cost cutting design (hey Chang, lets save a ton of money and make these probe shells out of SAE1040...) .JimK

SasquatchSanta

Soon I will be able to read both pre and post turbo exhaust gas temperatures.

One thermocouple will be installed approximately five inches downstream of the turbo and another in the front outlet (cylinders 1, 2 & 3) of the exhaust manifold.

A selector switch will allow switching back and forth (post to pre). I'll post my findings.

After doing some pre versus post temp fact finding, the post thermocouple will be moved to the other side (cylinders 4, 5 & 6) of the exhaust manifold. This will give readings of cylinders 1, 2 and 3 OR 4, 5 and 6 by flipping the selector switch.

TedG

This is a great thread full of useful information. I was just about to install a pyro on my 6.5TD hmmwv and was wondering where a good location would be. My turbo has a mechanically adjusted actuator (Predator motorsports Rapboost actuator)... From reading this, it would be easiest post turbo/actuator and around 2"-3" (not much room) or pre turbo but since the engine is a V8, it might be best to have 2 pyros (location would be at the tail end of each exhaust manifold). Has anyone here installed a pyro on a 6.5TD? Pictures?

The picture below is a used turbo but I am posting it to show the military actuator...and the minimum amount of space available for single post pyro...

Thanks in advance

Attachments

micky

Can anyone identify the enclosure components Deuceswild used to mount his gauges. I would like to do something similar. Thanks