• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Q on installing thicker ballistic windshield glass

hummer4x4guy

The question is regarding the lower metal molding that the glass sits on. Is that item just set in and held in place via the glass weight and the glass retainers? Book doesn't show any fasteners so I was curious.
Also how bad is water leakage around the glass?
Ill be ordering the last piece I need tomorrow so I wanted to get a heads up with regards to those questions.
Thanks
Joel

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need the offset 3 pc. bezels, and the other 4 parts on lower A pillar. {circled in red }
wind1.jpg

hummer4x4guy

If the photo I tried to attach via phone works you will see my older book circa 1991 doesn't show the two pieces which are to be bolted down in front of the glass. I do have photos of another privately owned tan truck without those two said brackets installed and the glass fits and holds fine. I do have the other 5 pieces tho.

Attachments

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The parts that bolt down are also on all the Civi trucks.
Its a safety thing I think.
All the A1 and A2 humvee's I've seen have them.

Expendable

The parts that bolt down are also on all the Civi trucks.
Its a safety thing I think.
All the A1 and A2 humvee's I've seen have them.
if the parts you're speaking of are the ones I'm thinking of then they are to prevent the hood from smashing through the windshield and possibly decapitating the passengers inside.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones I'm taking about are # 27
Lower windshield retainers.
Never herd about that hood thing.

battlebuggy

Those brackets that were required by NHTSA to be installed on the civ sale vehicles are NOT # 27 in the exploded view posted. They are additional parts that are not shown on that diagram. # 27 can be used with the standard unarmored or the supplemental armor glass using the rubber gaskets that are used on both types. Glenn

hummer4x4guy

Thanks Guys,
I do know of the part you are talking about Glenn. Seems it was sota a U shaped bracket of some kind. Well if I need to worry about decapitation my truck is most likely wrecked already..

battlebuggy

Lmao, too funny. Yeah the stuff NHTSA and DOT can come up with. Its debatable whether those foolish brackets would actually catch and hold the hood anyway in a collision. Glenn

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks