• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

QD 2" Reciever hitch.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Allie in NJ contacted me about a dismountable hitch for his M932.

I went down and made some measurements of height required and possible "structures" available on his tractor. Strict requirement that it be easily removable so as to retain originality for shows etc., with the minimum of modification to the stock rear end.
He had a pile of scrap/off cuts that I snagged getting a feel for the strength needed.

Initially, I had wanted to hang the dropper from the pintle hook, then triangle brace up to some bolts on the frame - but due to the tight geometry of the tractors rear end, had to come up with plan B.
First pic is of the proposed idea.
On checking my M816, found that the securing nut on the front side of the pintle had a large 3/8" washer which could be replaced by a dropper assembly which would stay on the truck but be hardly noticeable.....

Attachments

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paint currently drying.
Hopefully there isn't too much deviation between the pintle hook/retaining nut location and the two shackle brackets. They measured pretty close.
May get a pic of the finished hitch mounted on the 816 tomorrow, then on Allies M932 when I can make the return trip.

dougco1

Paint currently drying.
Hopefully there isn't too much deviation between the pintle hook/retaining nut location and the two shackle brackets. They measured pretty close.
May get a pic of the finished hitch mounted on the 816 tomorrow, then on Allies M932 when I can make the return trip.
I hope your drying the paint by the wood stove this morning. What are you planning to pull with the 816? I'm sure you have more appropriately sized trucks with a 2" receiver hitch.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Attached pic is of someone else's solution to the receiver hitch problem. Only issue is you have to take it off the use the pintle hook. and do not know who owns the truck or fabbed the bracket.
Personally - I do prefer the use of the pintle hook for a Quick Detach receiver hitch as in the pic - it leaves the originality of the vehicle, no drilling or welding and only use it when towing a civi trailer, simple and quick and it's way strong and designed for towing. If you want to pull a mil trailer or use the pintle hook for recovery, then you aren't pulling a civi trailer - leave it at home! However the tractor is too tight at the rear end with regards triangulated braces finding a suitable structure to mount brackets to, lights, brake chambers axle etc., are all occupying space that would be used, like on a cargo truck. The design in "your" pic (yes I know you may not have taken the pic) does not have good 'triangulation', putting a lot of torque on the subframe at the shackle points from forward and backward forces, and the 'shackle bracket tabs' only have single sided plates, however it does have mass/rigidity for lighter trailers but looks quite heavy..

Last edited:

fasttruck

Reference post #9: I took the picture and I believe the hitch was on a M929 dump truck which utilizes the same chassis as a tractor. Unknown who owns the truck or designed the hitch. I believe the point about triangulation or lack thereof is valid for this truck. Also do not know what kind of trailers owner was using with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks