• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Qs for anyone who has done the NV4500 swap

Ball

Hi.

I'm keen to get a m1010 that's been offered to me, but I do a lot of highway miles so I've been researching ways to get the gearing to something near reasonable. When I found out that the NV4500 can be dropped in without so much as a weld I got excited (not that there is a problem with welding :) )

I have some questions though:

1) Can I use a 96+ model tranny? The ratios look more appropriate for a 4.56 rear. Actually, just flat out tell me which tranny to get. I read somewhere I want one from a diesel, but can use a gasser one with some grinding. I'm not shy of grinding in either case.

2) Does the bell-housing fit without holes? I know with some retrofits (like a NV4500 in a g1 dodge) the bell-housing doesn't fit exact and you have to fill in the holes or buy a custom bell-housing.

3) What starter, flywheel, and other components do I need?

4) Any other gotchas?

Background: I live out of an AWD Astro van w/AT tires which I have thoroughly trashed off-roading (concave-d the oil pan, gas tank, hit a train, blew two side walls and the front diff last time I went to the mojave, etc.) It's great in that I still get 20mpg, but it doesn't have much room for all my stuff.

I'll also have to increase the headroom in the box somehow.

cucvrus

You may want to look in CUCV Hot rodding and modifications forum/threads. That is where I get booted to each time I talk of adding a different brush guard or a quad shock set up on an M1009. I don't know why but that happens here.

Barrman

I can answer a few of your questions because I put a NV4500 behind a 6.2 in my M715.

You need a 4wd version of the NV4500 that will take a passenger side drop transfer case. I do not know for sure which year NV4500 will do that or maybe all will.

A 1985 K30 6.2 flywheel will work with a NV4500.

You have to have a big mouth starter nose cone. The stock 6.2 CUCV starter has the small mouth. You can get a new starter or a new nose cone.

You have to have a diesel NV4500 bellhousing. If not, the big mouth starter won't fit without grinding.

The best bellhousing is the one with the internal slave cylinder/throw out bearing. The external slave bellhousing could hit the front axle drive shaft.

Obviously, you will need a clutch pedal. Getting a complete pedal set from a manual transmission square body would be best. Even better to find one of the later years with a hydraulic clutch.

Don't reuse a junk yard clutch slave and master. Buy new. They are mostly plastic and don't last long when cared for.