• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Q's on Towing a loading capabilitys of the deuces

Highdiver

I'm about a month or 2 of from picking up a M35a2 for a completely unnecessary project, I have been toying with, for a year or so now.

I have some Q's on the capability's of them from people that have real world experience with them.

I'm planning to use if for a tow rig for my toy hauler. Nothing special there. The the Q's started popping up when i decided to build the bed into a fold out deck and put a Jacuzzi on it. I can figure out all the add on stuff. I'm good at that sort of thing. The only actual experience I have with one of these trucks is riding in my dads when I was a little kid

I basically know the end results of what i want. It's just the methods of getting there that are a little unclear to me.

My biggest concern is, will i have a problem hauling roughly 5K lbs on the truck and towing 7k lbs at reasonable speeds? I'd like to be able to do at least 50-55mph.

I want bigger single tires to help the max speed, but is that even going to matter with that kind of weight?

I've also considered dropping one of the axles to help cut weight, and a lot of rotating mass. It would also get around any licensing issues involved with towing with a dual axle truck. That brings up the question of a single Rockwell holding and towing the weight by itself. Possibly with bigger tires will that cause a problem in itself?

That last one would be a good Question for the bobbed deuce owners out there. What kind of weight have you carried, or towed with your trucks and with what size tires(46",53"...). Also, what speeds?

Any insight would be helpful.

Oh and the answer to the first Question people ask when i tell them about my little plan is,....because I think it would be really cool.:mrgreen:

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My biggest concern is, will i have a problem hauling roughly 5K lbs on the truck and towing 7k lbs at reasonable speeds? I'd like to be able to do at least 50-55mph.
Yes, you will have a problem holding 50-55 with that kind of weight.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The standard multi-fuel is rated at around 140 HP on a good day.

The deuce is prob not the best truck for what you have in mind.

You are also going to have a real problem with the water in a Jacuzzi sloshing around and causing you balance issues.

I would look at a school bus. Busses are basically trucks with a passenger body on them.

Most of them are diesel powered and have a speed capability more in tune with your objectives.

They will tow as much as a deuce and you can hook up air brakes for the trailer if the bus has air brakes.

You can "bob" a bus to get the wheelbase you want.

Just my rambling thoughts.

3dAngus

Hummm.... put 5000 pounds on a deuce.

Then pull 7000 pounds behind it.

Then take off an axle.

Then run it at top speed or higher.

Hummmmm.....

(Don't do it.)

KsM715

All this talk of water sloshing around....... Do you actually plan on having the hot tub full of water when your in motion? If so, how do you plan on keeping it in there?

Id love to be there when you stomp on the brakes when someone stops short or pulls out in front of you.

Heavysteven

My truck is fun but to drive around with 5k in the back and a 7k trailer no way. Bobbing would only reduce the weight capacity. A 5 ton would do the job better and have power steering.

50shooter

I don't have an opinion on your plan but I can answer one of your questions from my real world exp.

I load the bed of my deuce with cut fire wood approx. 2' high and pull a M105 trailer packed to the bows. It handles like a pig. Very underpowered going up grade, stops ok with the trailer brakes but I don't even want to think about what would happen if I lost trailer brakes.

When empty, my truck runs 58mph w/out redline and I would guess by comparing it to my other deuces, the IP has been kicked up a click. Stock in every way otherwise.

Highdiver

I know its probably not the the best idea, more of a fun one. I know the hot tub idea might not pan out. That's why I'm asking for opinions before i do something stupid.

My 5k lbs estimate is the tub and custom bed together after removing the stock bed.

As for he water sloshing around, I did think of that. It would be minimized by a secondary tank with baffles to hold the water during transport, built into the custom bed. The top of the tank would be about level with the height of a stock bad, maybe a few inches taller, so center of gravity wouldn't be that bad either. The tub definitely wouldn't be that big of a hot tub, 250 to 300 gallons at most. probably less from what I'm hearing.

Going to a single axle was just an idea free up some of the limited hp from turning all that extra rotating mass, but if one isn't strong enough then that idea would be out.

lol no thanks on the bus idea. a big part of this whole idea is that i really like the m35.

goodguyzy

i agree, that is to much weight. i flat tow a deuce with a deuce and that is white knuckle driving (13K) but im all up hill or down hill here. i would suggest an m35A3 with better power at a minimum or a 5 ton.

mattg2448

Well, i would suggest getting a heavier truck, more like a 5 ton, an m818 would do find, as of water sloshing around, what if you had an extra tank, like a water tank, and pump the water into the tank before you go driving. A M818 would haul that weight, at that speed with big tires(A plus you can fit 53"). Good idea, just need to think outside the box.

I would say go for it take one axle out dont bob it leave it then set rear spring hangers 1' from rear of the frame go to 11.00x20 tire leave the duals use your axillary tank for water transport turn her up and turn her loose. Heck i use to pull 25,000 behind mine all the time at 50-55 easy. It can be done just my .02