• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quailty time with the deuce today.. Day 1

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

Today I got some quaility time in with my deuce..

I think my plan on getting her all "fixed up" is to go system by system, taking care of all leaks, filters, fuilds, seals, ect ect ect.. So today it was fuel system day. Makes sense as without fuel, you cant start her up..

Drained the fuel tank, got 12 gallons of dirty yucky looking fuel out, lots of sediment, and some water. Then I changed all 3 fuel fiters, finding all 3 were rust colored, and the primary had so much gunk in the bottom that when I opened the drain, nothing came out. My intank fuel pump works great, so she started right back up after puring the air.

I also soldered the overflow tube on the radiator that broke it's "weld"to the fill tube, so that fixed the small coolant leak.

I cleaned out my air cleaner housing and changed the filter.

I did find some strange things.. First, is the what looks like a air chuck connection under the passenger side dash. I cant find any paperwork on it being added at the unit level, so does anyone know if it was a factory standard thing for the USAF contract trucks?

Also noticed a "chock holder" on the drivers side front dual.. I do have paperwork saying this was added at the unit.

I cant find any mention of the rubber piece thats on all of the mud flaps. It's visible right above where the brace attaches to the verticle mud flap. Anyone got any ideas? They all look "factory installed"

I do have one leaking wheel cylinder on the driver side front dual, so when it comes time for brakes that will be addressed. Everything seems to be working as it should.

Not bad for a guy that just reads the MV articles on how to fix things and checks with the TM..
I do have one question.. On the secondary fuel filters, there is a tiny cotter pin on the shaft. Does this only serve to keep the filter itself somewhat centered while installing it?

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the valve for the chuck under the dash is standard. My deuce didn't come with a chuck, I added one thou.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have driven deuces with that type of air connection. Most trucks had an air hose as Basic Issue Item (BII) to inflate tires in the field. The connection under the dash provided more air than hooking the air hose to a glad hand at the rear of the truck.

FreightTrain

Banned
The under dash thing is standard.Not sure on the rubber hicky butt those braces for the mud flaps ain't on my truck.Well,the filler peice ain't.I think All I have are the 2 flat bars.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That filler piece looks like what comprises the chock holder. So simple it's smart.

Banshee365

No fuel will drain from the primary filter housing without the accessory switch on, you'll get a few drips until there isn't any air to occupy the space of the fuel so nothing drips out. I had the same results when I cleaned mine out when I first got it, all rust colored. The air line under the passangers side dash is standard.

-Kelly

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks