• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

quesions on cucv alts and starter

MrBouncer

Both are ISO grnd? Been told only passenger side is. If this is so then the passendger side can only be ISO grnd if replaced. Can a ISO grnd be used for the driver side? As for a starter could a 12v starter be used with the current electrical system by installing disconnects in the battery lines to the starter and bypassing the starter relay. These are just some thoughts not part of any plan.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the -20P TM. It clearly shows that both alternators are the same part number.

Only the passenger side(alt 2) needs to be isolated ground. The military only stocked one alternator for logistical reasons. Therefore, in original configuration(as built by GM for the US government), both are isolated ground.

The starter is NOT isolated ground.

MrBouncer

That is what i thought in respects to the alts. The starter i know is not ISO grnd I was just thinking that about a way to connect a 12v starter with the current electical with only few mods. This is a thought not a plan

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
12 volt starter modification only requires, changing the starter, moving one battery cable(at the firewall) and removing the under dash relay and connecting 2 wires(out of the 4).

I'm sure it can be done differently, but That's all I would do(haven't ever done a 12V conversion).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks