• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

question about 9.00-20 deuce tires on rims

anthonyamato4

so i put 395's on my duece this week and i have the 11 wheels my duece came with on the rims still. are these something that people are buying? is there a market for used tires on wheels if they are still in good shape? i just have them in a stack in my yard and figured i would see if they are something people buy then i would look into selling them to help me out and someone else out that might be in need. thanks for any ideas

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It depends on how much tread is on them. Take some pictures, and post them. Since the PO is probably reluctant to come out with any Flat Rate Boxes to accomodate them soon, it sort of depends on local pick up. Another possibility would be to take them to an MV Show/Swap Meet some place in your area. it woulld be a good excuse to haul them there with your truck.

welldigger

Well I'm switching to 395's soon myself but I discovered no one in my area will touch a split rim. So basically if I was staying with 9.00x20's I would just about have to buy a ready to go wheel and tire combo. I doubt I'm alone there.

klmracing

Call a big truck tire store. They will mess with them. I'm a crane operator and most all cranes(German made) have 22in split rims. Never had a problem finding someone to replace a tire on them.

welldigger

Call a big truck tire store. They will mess with them. I'm a crane operator and most all cranes(German made) have 22in split rims. Never had a problem finding someone to replace a tire on them.
I did go to a commercial tire store. Several actually. Only one even considered messing with them but, That was only if I bought a new tire. I just needed 2 tubes replaced. Honestly its just getting me going on switching to 395's.

Tlauden

question about 9.00-20 duece tires on rims

Same problem here, after months of searching I found someone who will work on split rims. It's a big rig shop, none of the normal automotive tire dealers even think about workin on them

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps they say no because you are using the wrong terminology. They are not split rims.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are lock ring rims.

A true split rim is an obsolete and outlawed rim, that nobody will touch(and rightfully so).

Last edited:

FatBuddhaBoo

so i put 395's on my duece this week and i have the 11 wheels my duece came with on the rims still. are these something that people are buying? is there a market for used tires on wheels if they are still in good shape? i just have them in a stack in my yard and figured i would see if they are something people buy then i would look into selling them to help me out and someone else out that might be in need. thanks for any ideas
I sold 8 of mine to a guy that was going to modify them for use to trailer his monster truck. So yes there is a market. Might even be guys looking for them for their trailers or replacements for their currents tires. take some pics and post them on Craigslist and see what happens.

quickfarms

question about 9.00-20 duece tires on rims

Take the tire to the commercial truck tire shop. This type of rim is common on construction equipment and still seen on some old trailers. If you look in the back of a lot of the commercial truck tire mobile trucks you will see the cage that is necessary to safely do these tires

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
doghead I am like you and cringe every time I hear someone refer to a locking ring wheel as a split rim. Being an old fart and actually messing with a split rim on model T trucks in my youth I would not touch one now. Not to say that fooling around with a locking ring can not be dangerous either, but if you use the right tools and have the experience and Motrin it is something I still do myself.
Split rim picture

Attachments

welldigger

They are lock ring rims.

A true split rim is an obsolete and outlawed rim, that nobody will touch(and rightfully so).
Well that could be my problem. However when they walk out to my truck and look in the bed, look at the wheels, and still say no I really don't know what else to do. I had a rig mounted on an old ford f-600 with the same tire size and rim type and I had **** finding a shop to work on those. Went to all the known shops that used to work on them for me and they either were out of business or wouldn't do it.

I guess the search continues if I have another flat.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just go buy you some tire irons and save your cash. It's not all that hard if you have the proper tools. Any of the major shops around here will work on a lock ring rim but they get around $40 per tire.

You can also save some more money by skipping your gym membership for the month you do 10 tires.:-D

welldigger

Well as I said before I'm going with 395's on a3 wheels very soon. I'm doing this for many more reasons than just the difficulty of finding a tire shop to work on 9.00x20s. I'll be mounting up, or at least attempting to, 7 of those heavy tires so I will definitely get my work out then.

nmwildman013

Yes you can easily do them yourself HOWEVER you need someone who has done them before to show you the tricks or you WILL beat yourself to death trying to mount/dismount them or get your head torn off. I ran a tire service truck for years, and trust me, the locking ring rims can get ya if you don't take certain precautions. Many tire shops won't touch two piece rims now and in fact have no idea how to do them safely. I even had to do my own trailer tires on my equipment trailer when the tire shops wouldn't touch my two piece rims on it either. And yes there is a market but it may be a slow sell depending on who is looking for those tires in your area. Advertise and wait is all you can do if you don't feel like dragging them around.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have both of my trucks on singles and offer the old 9.00s for really cheap to move them. I ask between $5 to $10 dollars for wheel and tire. It still is hard to move them, since no one wants them in my area.

Katahdin

Good Year Wingfoot did a couple tire changes for me, they also completely sandblasted and powdercoated the rims for about $25 extra bucks. You can use their website to find a location. http://www.wingfootct.com/

FYI, I'm interested in buying 9.00x20s, I'm just averse to paying shipping. :cookoo:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks