• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

question about a 5 ton

beachbummer

I have a lead on a nice 5 ton, x fire truck. The man at the city garage said it was rebuilt by the army 6 months before they got it. It is a 1986 with a Cummings engine. it has power steering, and heat. My question is whether or not it is a multi fuel engine, or can run on a mix of used tranny fluid, and gasoline. the truck is complete with new tires also. I am sure the stainless steel tank would bring some scrap money as well. the only problem is the truck needs to be stripped and re painted it is of course fire engine red. The mechanic said it runs very well but the batteries are dead. he said it is fun to drive, and has given them no problems since they bought it back in the 80s. he also said that they did not put 3000 miles on it since they bought it. I can pick it up for around 2 grand, I know thats a good deal, but I just want to know about the engine if I can run used tranny fluid, and gas mix in it.

kastein

as stated above the multi will run on darn near anything except avgas and possibly ethanol. Keep it in the right viscosity range so the IP is happy and it will burn it.

The cummins won't though from what I hear (no personal experience.)

What M number is it? Sounds like an 800 or 900 series from the Cummins you listed.

Capt.Marion

You're going to want to stick pretty close to 100% straight diesel. The only engine with multifuel capabilities is THE MULTIFUEL LDT-465 or LDS-465, which are the same engines with just a few differences. They are very clearly marked as MULTIFUELs on the data plates on the engine and on the Permissible Fuels data plate in the cab. Cummins and Caterpillar never made Multifuels.

The Cummins (no "g" in it) in your truck is likely either the 855 cu. in., naturally aspirated, 250 HP 6 cylinder NHC250, or the turbo charged 8.3 litre 6CTA 8.3 diesel. The 6CTA is much smaller than the NHC250, and is quite noticeable due to its turbocharger, which the NHC lacks.

If it's got a manual transmission, it's an M809-series 5 ton.

If it's got an auto transmission, it's a M939-series 5 ton.

Check out the 5-ton wiki: it's got loads of good info that will help you ID your truck.
5 Ton - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

Last edited:

M813A1

Also the early M939 trucks were standard transmission before the M939A1 have the Automatic transmissions !! Another thing is that the Cummins engine will run on WMO, Trans, Hyd oils, Bio diesel if mixed with diesel !!

Last edited:

jasonjc

Also the early M939 trucks were standard transmission before the M939A1 have the Automatic transmissions !! Another thing is that the Cummins engine will run on WMO, Trans, Hyd oils, Bio diesel if mixed with diesel !!

All M939's came with an auto. If it has a standard some one put it in there after the military.

kennys@wi.rr.com

For the most part a diesel engine will run on anything that burns. The main thing, as stated above, is the viscosity. If you try to run nothing but WMO you may have issues because it's too thick. The key is to filter it before trying to use it and thin it. When thining it DO NOT use gasoline. Gas will "dry" the moving parts of the IP and will cause damage. I would recomend either diesel or kerosene to thin.
As with any alternate fuel that is self produced, use at your own risk.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Shoot me a PM , il bet you 100% I can help you out with the truck and teach you about it.

Again as said, if its a CummiNs engine then its a straight diesel. They might have a old Multifuel 5 ton. Alot of people have no idea about their trucks , so you might have be missinformed. Also im betting its not an 86'.

Shoot me a PM or give me a call 252 363 3367, id be happy to help teach you about the truck - Jay

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also im betting its not an 86'.
:ditto:

That's what I'm thinking. If the department got it "back in the '80s" I highly doubt it's an '86. The military is going to keep a new vehicle more than 4 years.

I'm going to bet it's a 800 series 5-ton.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks