• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about adding a winch to an M923a2 that never had one to begin with?

So, I have heard varying opinions from mechanics I know regarding the process of adding a winch to an M923 that never had one to begin with. There is a stripped truck that an individual I know has and it has the stock winch kit...I believe its a 1984 M925.

My two friends that have experience working with heavy trucks(non military) don't think it will be a problem to switch it over to the newer truck since nothing is missing like the lines, PTO, frame extensions, controls etc.

Anyways, does anyone think that I could have a problem installing all of the stock winch components on a newer 1991 M923a2?...or do you think it could be quite problematic?

Ddmk18

The control box in the cab is different. The cables are the same but the box is different. The pto driveshaft length is different also. When going from A0 or A1 to the A2 models.

The control box in the cab is different. The cables are the same but the box is different. The pto driveshaft length is different also. When going from A0 or A1 to the A2 models.

Ok, that's what I was wondering about...everything not being the same. It sounds like maybe I should just wait and get a winch setup from an A2 at some point as I am not in a hurry.

tim410

When i did it the studs wouldnt come out and i couldnt get pto over studs. So had to cut studs out. Pita. Did u just reuse the gasket off pto or use rtv?

Ddmk18

I reused the gasket cause it acts as a shim. I loosened the mount on the transmission and used a bottle jack on the yoke to push it over some and it slid right out.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, this can be done without moving the transmission, but it wasn't fun the first time.

The steps I took:

1. Unhook Transmission oil line to cooler engine block (Figure 141, Part 24). This helped give extra slack when maneuvering PTO
  2. Drain Transmission oil per TM.
  3. Remove Transmission Dipstick, per TM.
  4. Unhook Oil return line from transmission (Figure 141, Part 19)
  5. Remove PTO Cover (Figure 129, part 3)
  6. Install studs in transmission
  7. Place gasket(s) over studs.
  8. Place long bolt in bottom of PTO. (Figure 442, Part 20)
  9. Place PTO in disengaged position. (Gear in middle of PTO)
  10. Remove one nut / bolt holding passenger side toolbox in place. (Figure 291, top left bolt, right support arm)
  11. Place PTO next to frame rail behind transmission, gear facing forward, driveshaft towards transmission.
  12. Move PTO forward along rail until PTO gear is even with first stud.
  13. Rotate PTO counter clockwise so that PTO gear faces transmission and is between studs.
  14. Adjust PTO alignment as needed to sit on studs.
  15. Tighten top and bottom bolt.
  16. Attach PTO Control lever. (Figure 443, Parts 2 - 5)
  17. Verify PTO can shift to engaged and back out.
  18. Tighten the other 2 bolts and 2 nuts on studs.
  19. Put the rest of the hoses & all you took off back on.
  20. Refill transmission.

Figures refer to the parts TM's.

I understand all of the Allison auto transmissions in the M900 series have the gear to drive a PTO.

However, did any of the A2's that don't have winches or dumps come equipped with a PTO or Hydraulics?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand all of the Allison auto transmissions in the M900 series have the gear to drive a PTO.

However, did any of the A2's that don't have winches or dumps come equipped with a PTO or Hydraulics?
I snagged an M931A2 that has everything but the winch and bumper extensions(and hoses that go to the winch?). It was overhauled, so I don't know if they added all the stuff then or it came with it all fresh from the factory.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. I take it that Marine trucks would be the only other 5 tons equipped with a PTO then...? How do you know if a truck has been a Marine truck?
Mine came from Army/NG in Sparta Wi. Black plastic plate has it as M931A2 model, rebuild plate has it as M932A2 serial and PMP plate has it as M933! Weird stuff. Never did figure it out. I presumed it was a M931A2 and all the stuff was added during rebuild?

Mine came from Army/NG in Sparta Wi. Black plastic plate has it as M931A2 model, rebuild plate has it as M932A2 serial and PMP plate has it as M933! Weird stuff. Never did figure it out. I presumed it was a M931A2 and all the stuff was added during rebuild?
I guess you can't be sure which trucks are equipped without looking at them first. I would be happy to find one with just a PTO to make it easier to add a winch or Dump assembly later on.

The dumps and winch trucks with the 8.3 are just going for to much in the auctions anymore and was wondering if it was possible to find one with just a PTO.

Baradium

I guess you can't be sure which trucks are equipped without looking at them first. I would be happy to find one with just a PTO to make it easier to add a winch or Dump assembly later on.

The dumps and winch trucks with the 8.3 are just going for to much in the auctions anymore and was wondering if it was possible to find one with just a PTO.
Except marine trucks (when people know they are) go for a lot too thanks to the lockers and fording kit!

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I snagged my tractor by luck I think. In the last second of the GL video if you were watching it real close you could catch the top of the winch controls. I don't think enough people caught that so it went fairly cheap $2777. Know what you mean. Dumps always go out of my league.

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to loosen the engine bolts and move the tranny over to get the pto in very tight but it can be done

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks