• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about brakes

reelclassic

I have a 2003 LMTV with a Caterpillar 3126. When I begin slowing down or almost come to a complete stop the air brake engages (jerking - grabbing). I believe its a feature to help
stop when pulling a heavy load.
Is there an adjustment anywhere so that it won't do it.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your actual parking brake engages? That should NOT happen. I would start by replacing the parking brake valve on the dash.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a 2003 LMTV with a Caterpillar 3126. When I begin slowing down or almost come to a complete stop the air brake engages (jerking - grabbing). I believe its a feature to help
stop when pulling a heavy load.
Is there an adjustment anywhere so that it won't do it.
Like simp5782 said, turning off the witch will fix it.

It is a green rocker switch on the right side of the dash.
- Two Position Switch.
The CENTER position is OFF.
Down turns on the exhaust brake
Up is called "warmup" (partially closes the exhaust brake). Suggest that you not drive it that way.

Ronmar

I wouldn’t think the exhaust brake would be engaging with the transmission out of lockup...

Are your front glad-hands vented? I could see if the service glad-hand was capped and one of the service 2ways were leaking, air trapped in that line could start to override the pedal as you let off of it as you approach for a smooth stop...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks