• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about burning used Motor Oil as Fuel.

Ironhorse

I've wondered the same thing.

A locking fuel cap and " I'm sorry sir, I only carry the key when I get fuel." What could they do ?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Pawnshop said:
I am not so worried about burning it as transporting and storing it! I have a buddy that is an EPA cop for the Texas Attourney General's office, I will ask him tomorrow.
Any word?

Pawnshop

A partial answer, from my friend:

"Waste oil has its own rules but when you decide to use it as a fuel it becomes a product. This is an important distinction as there may be rules on the storage of this of which I am unaware. I would think that what you should consider, strongly, is secondary containment for the containers. This would be a concrete tub, if you will, that is capable of holding 110% of its contents. This is the usual for above ground fuel storage tanks. Do you live in the city? There are sure to rules in any city of any size concerning the storage of fuel. Most cities have adopted a Fire Code which will cover this issue."

"I am pretty sure that the city uses the International Fire Code. I will see what I can find out, but you may have to obtain a permit. I just don't know enough about Austin's regs to say. I will get back to you but it may take a couple of days."

Sam

67Cougar

joesco said:
But I made a pre-filter using an old 10 gallon air tank installed with a perforated 3/4 pipe that holds a paper towel roll. It slowly filters the wmo overnight for me. Just starting to process about 40 gallons of wmo. Can't wait to run it 75/25 in Brutus.
I would like to see a picture and a little more information on this paper towel filter. The old toilet paper filters worked pretty good. This sounds like a little bigger version.

beaubeau

Wow am I glad I live in the country! I must have 150gal of oil around in case I need some in my vehicles. I buy Hydrolic oil by 55gal drums, and motor oil 5gal at a time. Was given 90gal of Diesel removed from a coommercial building replacing furnace with Wood Chips. I am not about to ask anyone permission to store oil on my property. Heck I have always had used motor oil on board for starting Brush fire when needed.

Somemedic

Im guessing an officer who wants to see wats inside ur tank isnt going to be too put off by a locking cap and could probably have ur baby impounded on the spot until you could produce said key. The fecal matter would only get taller once you did open it and he found you werent using road fuel...

I am by no means a lawyer or LEO type ( I scored higher on the civil service exam, thats why Im the fireman... :mrgreen:) but were your truck parked or on a trailer I would be curious what the "probable cause" would be for a dip test. Might be something a motor carrier enforcement guru could answer and Im sure it varies from state to state.

bkwudzhom

Sometimes it is better to ask for forgivness than permission. Most of the time what "big brother" dosent know doesnt hurt him.

CGarbee

I just keep a copy of the paperwork from the last time that I paid my NC taxes for use of an alternative fuel... The NC Dept. of Revenue has a form that you get to fill out where you list the types and amounts of each alternative fuel that you are burning. You apply the tax rate to the amout and send them the form with a check.

That way, the State gets thier funds for transportion expenses and you are legal.

If somebody wants to look in may tank and wonder about my tax situation, I can show that it has been attended to. I keep the copy with my registration and inspection paperwork.

10Extreme

OK. I read several threads on this subject and think I'm ready to start mixing my own alternative fuel cocktail. I have an inexpensive source of clean used Conoco Hydro Clear 46 hydraulic oil.
This is what I'm thinking:
For my CUCV: 25% used hydraulic oil and 75% Kerosene.
For my Duece: 75% hydraulic oil and 25% gasoline

Anyone think this is way off. Or have a better mix ratio reccommendation?

This is for off road use only

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That sounds right to me. In the winter I would cut way down, but you will have to experiment to find out what works best.

mbwarner

Last Friday when I picked my deuce up at GL, I mentioned to the site manager that I'd tapped the primary filter to check for water. He asked what color diesel the truck had in it, and when I told him "green, just like it ought to be", told me about a guy who called him and read him the riot act because he was caught with red fuel in his deuce and ticketed. He accused the military of using off-road diesel.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
One of my deuces came from DRMO/GL with half a tank of red diesel in it. I haven't purged it out, I haven't put more than a dozen miles on it, I haven't refueled it, and it still has the same red fuel in it... even after siphoning about 10 gallons out to refill my Bobcat. :) If and when I get it fixed up and want to drive it on the road, maybe I ought to drain out that evil red diesel and replace it with nice, safe black WMO? ;)

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
My 400 gallon tank trailer will be my cocktail fuel storage and refinement vehicle. I do like the centrifuge idea and am thinking of building one on my mill when I retire. Are the ones pictured here in the thread afordable I could not find them in a google search.

TommyG45

Before I process my oil, I put an old tee shirt in the filler hole in my 330 gal poly tank, dump all the stuff in the hole. Not sure what filter rating to apply to the tee shirt, but it sure does grab a lot of poo. So far most of the oil Ihave collected has been coming from word of mouth, people dropping it off at my house, bringing it to work and then putting it in the trunk of my car. I have collected about 75 gallons that way. So far I have just been collecting for a few months. The big score comes this thursday, I will pick up 275 gallons but I will have to pay for that @ around $1.00 per gal. Keep in mind I am also heating the barn with WMO.

The cleaning process will still use the centrifuge though. Both for the deuce @ 75/25 ratio. 75% WMO.

When burning the WMO in a stove, the centrifuge really helps to keep the ash down, and pulls out a great deal of the stuff you really didn't want in there to begin with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks