• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about CARC

Ddk2001

I picked up a HMMWV last week - and the seller gave me two new one-gallon cans of Gillespie (GCI) 383 Green (34094) paint.

I've tried to do some research on the different variations of CARC paint (solvent, WD, "substitute," etc.) and am a bit confused. Before I start messing with this stuff - I want to make certain I know what I've got. Here's a picture of the can.

GCI Alkyd Enamel . . . CARC substitute - right? Is this stuff not as "nasty" as CARC?

I guess I'm just wondering whether to paint with this stuff or go with Behr like so many others are doing? Advantages / disadvantages of going either way? I'm going to paint the entire truck in 34094.

Thx.
-D
View attachment 659086

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Correct, it is a Alkyd Enamel and no where near as bad as the old school CARC. GCI needs a chemical solvent to paint, Behr uses water. There are a number of threads on which paint to use or not use.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having used both numerous times I prefer the Behr. The color is closer, it's easier to prep & apply, and cleanup is much easier as well. The only down side is it's softer than the GCI when fully cured but I don't plan on driving through the brush with my clean truck. Plus on the up side you can do touch ups easier and paint is readily available.

Ddk2001

Well - I've decided I'm repainting 3-color camo. Gillespie has the 383 Brown (30051) CARC substitute - but only has the 911 Flat Black. Rapco says it's the black used in 3-color camo - but it's not CARC substitute. So - what's the difference?

Ddk2001

I wrote Rapco and they explained it all to me. Might have been evident to others - but, to the extent it's helpful to some, here's what they say:

The CARC Substitute paints are simply called that to identify them as matching current CARC colors - nothing more. The don't have a 383 Black "CARC Substitute" because their flat black is the same color already. It would have been redundant to call the same paint a different name.

All the Gillespie military paints are the same - all non-acrylic alkyd based enamels.

"CARC Substitute" is just a color designation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks