• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about CARC

Ddk2001

I picked up a HMMWV last week - and the seller gave me two new one-gallon cans of Gillespie (GCI) 383 Green (34094) paint.

I've tried to do some research on the different variations of CARC paint (solvent, WD, "substitute," etc.) and am a bit confused. Before I start messing with this stuff - I want to make certain I know what I've got. Here's a picture of the can.

GCI Alkyd Enamel . . . CARC substitute - right? Is this stuff not as "nasty" as CARC?

I guess I'm just wondering whether to paint with this stuff or go with Behr like so many others are doing? Advantages / disadvantages of going either way? I'm going to paint the entire truck in 34094.

Thx.
-D
View attachment 659086

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Correct, it is a Alkyd Enamel and no where near as bad as the old school CARC. GCI needs a chemical solvent to paint, Behr uses water. There are a number of threads on which paint to use or not use.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having used both numerous times I prefer the Behr. The color is closer, it's easier to prep & apply, and cleanup is much easier as well. The only down side is it's softer than the GCI when fully cured but I don't plan on driving through the brush with my clean truck. Plus on the up side you can do touch ups easier and paint is readily available.

Ddk2001

Well - I've decided I'm repainting 3-color camo. Gillespie has the 383 Brown (30051) CARC substitute - but only has the 911 Flat Black. Rapco says it's the black used in 3-color camo - but it's not CARC substitute. So - what's the difference?

Ddk2001

I wrote Rapco and they explained it all to me. Might have been evident to others - but, to the extent it's helpful to some, here's what they say:

The CARC Substitute paints are simply called that to identify them as matching current CARC colors - nothing more. The don't have a 383 Black "CARC Substitute" because their flat black is the same color already. It would have been redundant to call the same paint a different name.

All the Gillespie military paints are the same - all non-acrylic alkyd based enamels.

"CARC Substitute" is just a color designation.