• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about cargo racks and troop seats

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the wooden ones that I have seen are oak. I have a truck made in the mid 70's that has fiberglass and an A3 from the 90's that has oak. I suspect that at some point, when replacements were needed, fiberglass was used.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The late 80's air force deuce's (the last new ones made) had wood seats. So not sure if any came "new" with fiberglass. I was looking at the big box store the other day and seen ceader 5/4" decking. I'm thinking of getting them and ripping them in half. It would cost about $25- $30 per side. What do you all think? I now ceader is not as strong but it would be thicker.
As was said, you'll have the thickness issue as well as the fact that cedar is soft. It won't take much punishment and will scratch and get marked up pretty easily. While expensive, something like Trex (composite wood/plastic) might be good. It's VERY durable, and you can get it with wood grain.

mikey

Could you just sand and apply a thin coat of resin, thereby eliminating the filling and painting procedures?
I am by no means experienced with body work, but the surfaces are pretty rough. I suppose resin would seal it, but the surface of the fiberglass has gouges and cracks and I'm not sure resin would "self level" and smooth it out. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Thanks

Mikey

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 71 Deuce originally came with White oak for the troop seats but when pricing new wood for the seates when I rebuilt them I went with Red oak believe it or not it was about 40% less than White, seriously folks its going to all be painted OD anyway!
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks