• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about GL auction posting rule

Action Man

I've read the rules about posting about current GL auctions, but I vaguely remember reading something in regards to posting about rare or unique auctions. I searched the forum but I can't find where I saw that. Anyone have any idea where that's stated?

Action Man

what did you find? :popcorn:

The caddy?
Nah, it's a military vehicle. Just one I'd never seen even when I was in the Army and didn't think the government had on the books anymore. The truck had DFEL sprayed on the bumper. Googled it and it came up with Directorate of Facilities Engineering & Logistics. I'm just surprised that this particular truck would be in such good shape, but then again I have no idea what DFEL would use the truck for.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many members just post with no regards to the rules(knowing it's against the rules) and just add the comment "mods deleted if needed".(I love that one)

We can post about rare vehicles. If the thread gets "ugly", it will be deleted.

Action Man

Many members just post with no regards to the rules(knowing it's against the rules) and just add the comment "mods deleted if needed".(I love that one)

I'm sure some do. I'm still pretty new here though and wouldn't want to leave a bad impression.

The M887........ Even though it's not listed that way.........
And yeah, that's the one.

rickf

Would that link about the Oshkosh axle I sent you fall under that classification? I had no need for it but I know they were as rare as gold hens teeth. I am sure someone could have used it.

Rick

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Because thats the rules. It brings too much attention to an auction that might slip through the cracks.

If you wanted a truck and then it was posted up, that truck's price goes up. I would be mad too.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, probably Rick, unless someone complained.

This is always a no win situation, in the end.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Besides pictures dying after a while, why care about posting a link to GL?
We care about posting links that go dead because of future users. Let's say that someone buys a truck from GL, and then the post that they won said truck and provide a link.

This is within the rules and eventually the link will go dead...not a big deal.

Now let's use the same example, but let's say someone notices something odd or very rare on the vehicle in one of the GL pictures. Many people will comment about it, and probably identify what said item is "Hey, that's an XYZ". Now fast forward 2 years, some new guy comes on here and does a search for the XYZ item that was discussed in the thread, and wants to see a picture of it...he can't because the link is dead! Now, if the OP would have just taken 30 seconds and saved the pics from the auction and posted them rather than the link, the details of the rare XYZ part would be preserved for future reference.

Munchies

We care about posting links that go dead because of future users. Let's say that someone buys a truck from GL, and then the post that they won said truck and provide a link.
I was asking if there was a reason besides dead links. I guess the other reason is more or less what I thought but Gimpy answered it. If that's the rules then fine, seems kind of silly since GL is a plain public website where everyone can search. If it was an ad in the local paper and someone posted that and ruined someones day I suppose I could understand more. Oh well it doesn't really affect me anyhow just curious.

KsM715

The other reason we dont post about active auctions is the possibility of collusion. Say some one see a truck they really want and because were such a great group of people that would never snipe something from some one else, makes a statement like "hey I hope to bid on this and it sure would be nice if no one else would bid so I could get it cheap" and one or two members post up and say "sure I wont bid against you", that would be collusion. Or some other member sees a truck he really wants and decides he's going to post something really bad about this truck like maybe the block has a really big hole in it but the description doesn't say that, so he thinks he might be able to steer some bidders away that way. The rule is there so if there is no discussion of active auctions then there is no possibility of the above happening.

In the case of rare items, if you dont plan to bid on it and just want to know more about it, save the pictures, sale and lot numbers until the day after the auction closes and then start your post about it. If its something you think you might bid on because its rare and valuable I doubt you would want the extra attention your going to bring to the auction before its over. In that case if you want to research something for value, your kinda on your own on that because as soon as you bring it up here, if its rare, people on this site are going to jump on it.

The only auction post that I dont go ballisticon rule infractionsfor are the reallyreally big items that I know people hear arent really in the running for anyways, Like the Torpedo recover boat that was up for sale a few years ago. If the lot is going for several hundred grand, I doubt any extra attention SS members are going to give it are going to drive up the bids by that much.

rickf

What I was looking at was a front axle for an Oshkosh snowplow. I don't have one, kind of wish i did but no way could I afford it. The thing is I remember a while back there was a discussion about how it was impossible to find parts for one of these axles and here was one complete NOS. I sort of wanted to let people know it was here somehow so it does not go to the scrap pile. I don't really think it was an item that a lot of people would be looking at.

Rick

Munchies

The other reason we dont post about active auctions is the possibility of collusion. Say some one see a truck they really want and because were such a great group of people that would never snipe something from some one else, makes a statement like "hey I hope to bid on this and it sure would be nice if no one else would bid so I could get it cheap" and one or two members post up and say "sure I wont bid against you", that would be collusion. Or some other member sees a truck he really wants and decides he's going to post something really bad about this truck like maybe the block has a really big hole in it but the description doesn't say that, so he thinks he might be able to steer some bidders away that way. The rule is there so if there is no discussion of active auctions then there is no possibility of the above happening.
I guess the honest guy in me did not think about it that hard:neutral: Makes a good argument though

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't take this wrong but, you only need to follow the site rules, not understand why they exist.

It has taken years to get to where we are today.

I'd like to think it's the best website out there for MV owners and enthusiasts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks