• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about GL bid ????

deuce_m35a2

I'm a new owner of a non-running M35A2 and am in search of engine so...
I just won a LDT 465 1c on GL. After placing bid, I realized condition was H7?? I Then found out H7 means unserviceable, and was wondering if they (GL) had to classify it as that, or did I just buy a motor that doesnt work. I though someone may have experienced this in the past also.
Any help would be appreciated, this way I know what I'm getting into before I pick it up.

Thanks

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
The serviablility code is a DOD assigned code that shows it to be in economicly repairable condition and still used in the system F7 or not repairable for use in the system H7 I have seen this system assigned catagory vary considerably by inspector some H7 stuff will work right away some F7 stuff won't I have found that mostly the items can be fixed with standard rebuild skills and parts. It is much better to have the engine in the can and work on it there get it in good condition and then pull the old one and put that rebuilt one in its place. Good luck on this there are lots of folks on the site that can assist you with the projects and welcome to Steel Soldiers you will find it rewarding.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've found with GL/DRMO, condition codes can be VERY wrong.. I've seen stuff H7 that was A or B. Seeing how the M35 is phased out, alot of parts are going to DRMO with a CC of H or F, just because it's how it can be "justified" by the army to get "thrown out" This is a VERY simplistic way of putting it...

I picked up a 1993 M105A2 trailer that was called by DRMO/GL that was CC H7, but was barely used and CC B in real life.... Dont let it bother you too much until you go inspect it, and get the real story....

M1075

:ditto:

I wouldn't place any great reliance on the condition codes. You could have a gem or you could have a big paper weight. Hopefully, the former!

littlebob

I didn't buy mine from GL, but from GSA, I imagine the information is probably just as innacurate. The one I bought was listed as having bad starter engine does not run.I took the two mismatched batteries out of my boat and was able to fire it up and get the few miles home with a shot of ether.

da_sgt

Here's my "H7" The only thing H7 was the yellow paint that said DRMO!
Said it was non-turbo as well. Hit the button, fired right up! Full tank of dyed fuel and a turbo to boot! I have also won some brand new in the box bows and covers for a M105 trailer that said "H7"....Makes no sense :roll:

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
As I recall - there is a dollar amount assigned to most large items. The maintenance expenses are tracked, and when an item is about to go over that amount, the DOD declares it beyond economic repair and it goes to DRMO.

I am certain that I am leaving out some details - its simply been too long since I looked into this.

But in essence, in theory a circumstance like the following could happen. Truck has new engine, transmission and transfer case installed. It now is near the limit in terms of dollars. Soldier A installs bolt in place of shear pin, Soldier B tries to extract Abrams from bog, bursts winch. IF there is no winch at the Can point (which, as I recall, would make it non-accoutable), the truck gets turned in because the new winch housing would push the dollars expended about the limit assigned for that type vehicle.

Again, this is from memory, and the items listed above a purely for example, and the relative cost of them is unknown.

Anyhow, this explains some of the strange findings at govt auctions (BTW, my first G742 had a two-month old engine and burst winch at turn in date).

Regards,
David

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What David is talking about is called the MEL. Maintence Expendature Limit. Every major mechanical item has a MEL assigined to it in a big book and online that gets updated every month. For instance, the MEL for M101 trailers was 10% a year ago. So if any parts needed to repair it costed more than 10% of it's total aquisition value, the trailer would be uneconimical to repair, and sent to DRMO. This includes tires, sideboards, nuts, bolts, ANYTHING that you may need to repair it. Stuff like uparmored humvees, the MEL is like 90%, so basically, it WILL be repaired because they are so short on them. As trucks are phased out, the MEL becomes very low or zero, and the item gets DRMO'ed out. It is a good way to get rid of items that cost more than they are worth, so new items can be bought. Back to the M101's, they are being phased out for the M1101/2's, so thats why there are so many availible lately.

Here is a MEL for xconstruction equipment that I found online.. http://tri.army.mil/lc/CJ/Cjc/mel-3805.htm

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I recently picked up a pallet of tents and they were coded H7 but the turn in document from the unit is clearly marked code B by the inspector. The tents look almost new. I have also found brand new items in the lot that were not listed in the description and these I call bonus babies since I have found radios, pyrometers and other bb's in my lots.

m38inmaine

You can look for a tag as well, oaktag with a string attached, green=unserviceable(repairable)DDform 1577-2 or yellow=serviceable tag DDform 1574 and red tag ,don't have one in front of me but thats unrepairable. I have seen engines alot with the green tag and that means that they can be fixed. The picture of the truck mentioned below has some sort of red shipping label or sticker, not the DDforms I describe. Anyway, like the others said it depends on who classified it and only onhands inspection will confirm the condition. Good luck sir.

cten

I'm not sure that that is all true either... The vehicle that I bought had a red toe tag and the truck was part of a bigger sale that was going on and they were advertised as running by GL when they first started doing the video's online of product that they were selling. I only put in an alternator and changed the fluids and filters...couple of other minor things and away she drove since we purchased her. 3,500 miles later she still runs fine. NOW THAT I HAVE GONE AND SAID THAT I'LL HAVE A PROBLEM....KNOCK WOOD.

I would attach a picture from the GL lot when I picked up the truck with the tag attached, but I'm not seeing a way to do that here. I know that you use to be able to attach pictures.

Regards,

houdel

I strongly agree the service code has little to do with the actual condition of the item. It seems like if someone wants to get rid of an item they no longer want or need they give it an unserviceable service code so they can dispose of it. My truck was labeled "FX" and the batteries were dead so it was described as "Running condition unknown". I jumped it at the DRMO and drove it 230 miles home (it came with a full fuel tank, so I didn't even need to buy any diesel to get it home). It needed one new battery (both batteries were near new but one had a dead cell), the dogbone bolts were so loose that even if the batteries were both fully good and charged it still wouldn't have started, and I had to repair the drivers door latch.

I think a got a good, serviceable truck in my deal.

westfolk

A guy I deal with from time to time up near New Paltz, NY has a buddy on some base that pulls some slick stuff. On diesel gensets they would pull the IP and wrap it up. Then put it under the engine. Then mark it as scrap. Make sure the right people bought them and then put the IP back in. These were units that were close to brand new they were doing this with. I had an offer to buy them at $1,000 a pop. This is only what I was told they were doing. Who knows what else takes place. Let alone on other bases.

ida34

I got a 6.2 in the can for $70. I think it was F-7 or such. It had the toe tag and it said there was a striped fastener. It did not say where the fastener was but the intake was off and I would have to assume it was one of the intake to head bolts or such. I just buttoned it up and have not done anything with it yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks