• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about m880 carb tag

M880IKE

I was thinking of replacing the carb on my 77 M880. This is what I found when I was looking for the tag. Googled it and can't find anything. Found circular brass tag with "5353 RCA". Anyone know what this is? I have attached a pic. Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

77 M880 W200

The tag indicates the model number for the carb. Normally you use the number on the tag when ordering a rebuild kit. My M880 carb did not have a metal tag which led me to search several sites to find out which model 2bbl Carb I had - so I could oreder the right rebuild kit.

Are you thinking of replacing it with a 4bbl or installing fuel injection? Would like to know what you decide on, my carb is falling on its face at low demand yet jumps to life when you kick it. Which is why I bought the rebuild kit (and metal float).

Hope this helps

67_C-30

I recently replaced the carb on my M880 with one off a non emissons '69 Dart 318, and it totally woke the truck. The earlier carb appears to be a bigger cfm 2 bbl, and the M880 really likes it. My original carb has been rebuilt, tinkered with, and adjusted numerous times, but we could never get it running really right. It would run and drive, but it was never as crisp as should have been and never idled that well. Mine kinda always had a flat spot off idle.

M880IKE

I ended up looking up model number in M880 TM. Carter BBD-6537S. I bought a remanufactured one but have not installed it yet. Once I get it in will let you know how she runs.

Last edited:

Elwenil

Just a note, that tag is NOT a Carter model number tag. It looks to me to be a generic rebuilder tag. Carter tags are generally triangular. The carb used with the M880 series is a Carter BBD-6537S and is typical of just about all the 6000 and 8000 series BBD carbs used on '70s era Dodge trucks. The BBD itself has been used on various Mopar small blocks from the mid '60s up to about '85 when it was phased out completely in favor of the Holley feedback 2BBL carbs.

77 M880 W200

Elwenil - you are right, the metal tag shown is not a from Carter; most likely from the Army (or other service) Motor Pool. Those circular tags were called "chits" in the USAF and easily made at each base. I am certainly speculating to its origin...You also have a wealth of knowledge for these vehilces, thanks for the info!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks