• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about painting and lining the interior

us74k5

Would it be okay to just put bed liner directly over the carc paint that is on the interior of my M1009? Or do i need to strip it down to bare metal first? Also, I am going to be painting my truck soon, i have the all tan carc paint scheme on there. I want to paint the truck all white. Will i have to strip the carc completely off, down to bare metal, or what? Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.
-Matt

ABN173

Matt,

Not sure I personally like the idea of a white MV.........there's something just wrong with that unless your gonna call it Arctic Camo:grin:.

Now about your question, just apply the bed liner over the carc BUT be sure it does not have any flakes or bubbles first. If there are any scrape/sand those spots and be sure to wear a good respirator/filter mask. Once your done with that use a shop vac to get up any dirt/dust and ensure the surface is clean without any oily spots or anything then go for it.

-Dale

Last edited:

Matt65

Not sure I personally like the idea of a white MV.........there's something just wrong with that unless your gonna call it Arctic Camo:grin:.
I agree. Mine's been a great truck so far, but I would prefer the original paint that is now covered in white. Thanks Georgia Forestry Service! :-D Being white does help it blend in. I find people looking a little closer and longer before they realize it's a 1008.

blackhueys

I do rhino linings, as long as the area is scuffed up correctly that is all that needs to be done for rhino stuff. It can be put anywhere as well. I am doing my floor from fire wall back to tailgate plus the gate then doing about 3/4 up on the rocker panels also doing the inside of the topper part when I have that off. Will do more I am sure later on as I get more ideas. Personally I would get rhino as I think it is the best just my 2 cents.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess a white M1009 with big Red Crosses on the sides would emulate a hospital truck?

shkira

So this is a similar question except I don't want to do the inside.

I want to restore the exterior CARC. In this case Dept of State painted white over top of the original CARC OD. Under the circumstances of them losing an M1009 which got fire bomb cause the locals didn't like the US mil vehicles driving around I don't blame them.

Problem is they used local painters with garbage paint. Seems like they used cheap paint and just shot the entire vehicle. I'm lucky that they at least taped the windows and mirrors!

Do I need to strip all the white trash adhered to the CARC or is it possible to go over top? Is it suffiecient to rough up the white ttop coat?

I am fearful I know the answer.

If I go with plan B and use single stage Sherman Williams CARC will it come off later?

ABN173

Ok it really all depends, is the white paint flaking, have bubbles, any rust? If not then make sure it's clean and dry then paint it with carc II (water based) or other desired carc substitute. Keep in mind that if you ever decide to go down to bare metal in order to "do it right" then your only adding another layer to the mix. I read on here where one guy had his Deuce sand blasted and they discovered it had nine layers of CARC.

shkira

Sweet! Thanx for the words. Feel better. Paint condition is fine. I just hate the awful white.

Any tips on finding painter who will shoot it right other then having a LVHP gun or does the CARC II work in standard HVLP guns?

shkira

Thanks! Yeah I got the SW TypeII and a standard gun was fine. Just steel wooling was fine to rough up the surface. It came out great and am really happy that I finally got to that project. Its been a little while now and unfortunately two spots need to get redone on the tailgate. Not the paint's fault. Two cracks weren't welded to get fixed but bondo'd. The stuff cracked and with it the paint. Since its been a long time since I welded and no longer have access to the gear I found a guy would will patch up the spots. Now I have the problem that I won't need a whole gallon, but SW only sells in gallons. They did tell me that they have a touch up kit, but I wasn;t clear on what it was exactly. I wish they would sell pints or quarts! Will buy it and see what I get.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks