• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about picking up a deuce...

Flea

I'm (hopefully) going to buy a deuce in this next run of auctions from Smyrna, TN.

They're all stated to run/drive, all were driven on base. Some say they may need a jump; I plan on taking two new exide blems with me, should I win, anyways.

I've called and gotten binding coverage to get it home.

Any issues with just driving it off base?

-Flea

papercu

truck

That is a very big subject and very little info. You do understand that after you win (if you do) it may take months before you can pick up your truck??
Are you worried about breakdowns or someone stopping you? Wayne

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: truck

There is a whole laundry list of things you should take with you beyond the batteries and tools. At the top of the list should be brake fluid. I've never had issues with driving off base.

HTH,
David Doyle

Flea

Heh... guess I should have provided more information.

Breakdowns are low on my list of worries. I'm pretty competent mechanically when it comes to vehicles, and I'm no stranger to large diesel engines.

Edit: I also plan to upgrade my AAA to include their RV coverage, should I win.

I plan to acquire all the items on the "Great List" prior to heading out to pick up the deuce.

I've checked and it looks to be around 45 days to process an EUC at best.

I was more concerned with Private Gomer stopping me at the gate saying "you can't drive that off-base!" even though all that would be left to do would be to finalize registering it for road use.

Thanks for the advice guys!

spicergear

VERY glad to see you're going to do this the responsible way by having insurance and not just picking it up and hoping for the best. As one that's been hit by an under-insured motorist and taken the short end of it (and will deal with damages from that forever) hats off to you for that-

Flea

Wow... I guess I never thought how many people must do that.

That was the second phone call I made. (First was to clear it with the executive branch, aka wife).

Well, I'm the high bidder so far! (only an hour and 10 minutes in, lol)

acetomatoco

I always hire my new acquisitions delivered... saves time and money in the long run and also cuts down on liability...I am bidding a 5 ton Cummins dump today and two 5 tons next week and already have the detachables on retainer for transport when the EUCs are approved...Most bases do not let you work on the trucks too much, and frown on you draining and replacing oil and fuel filters before leaving. Secondly lots of trucks especially from the AF sometimes have all fluids drained.. and a dry transfer case is really noisy after 10 miles or so...In civvy trucks they even remove and purge the mechanical oil pressure gauge and tubing....for those last 2 cc of oil.

houdel

When I picked up my Deuce, getting ON the base was a hassle. The GL guy had to have my name and the names of everyone with me on a list at the entrance guard post. Then we had to show up with picture ID, proof of registration and insurance for our vehicles, sign in and get a window tag to allow us to drive around the base. Then on to GL for the paperwork and then on to the truck. Make a few quick fluids checks (I was only driving a few miles to a truck shop for a thorough check out prior to my 240 mile trip home). Finally, drive off the base, they don't even look at vehicles going OFF base, not even a perfunctory wave of the hand to pass you through. I didn't even slow down!

herc69

Check with the GL rep at the base, as some will allow driving, and others won't. I know Ft.Jackson here in SC won't let you drive off since ferro drove his first into an office building :driver: From what I know, most will allow it. Either way, good luck with it (should you win!)

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter

When you leave the base, you'll have paperwork with you that says it's yours. They've seen it before. They'll be glad to see you rolling another truck out. The only time they would stop you is coming on-board a base. You probably won't have to worry about that. What happens to you after you leave is something no one on any base will care about. They basically say, "See ya!"

Flea

Ok, so on to the SF-97...

Do I obtain that at the site when I take delivery? Or can I get that from GL and have it completed with my EUC, then have registration, ins & tags taken care of from day one?

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL prides themselves on being a "title-free" seller. In my case, I left the base with an invoice / bill-of-sale. There was not a GL rep there at the time of load-out. GL had made available to me all of the paperwork needed to show the person at the base, that the truck that they had was paid for and that I was the buyer.

Ohio requires an out-of-state inspection. That was not hard. A BMV rep looks at the serial number and a few things, then fills out an approval form. For Ohio to give me a title, they wanted either an SF97, or a title. GL could not give me an SF97 for whatever reason, so they "created" a (FL) title. Ohio was satisfied with that, and the office gave me a fresh (OH) title for my deuce. I then went to the next counter and got the plates.

Your state may be totally different, or it may operate in a similar fashion. Expect a little SNAFU, but all-in-all, it will come together somehow. The happiness of owning a deuce seemed to make it all a little less painless. If I couldn't get the title and registration for whatever reason, I would have still kept my truck and just driven it around the yard if I had to.

As for insurance, take a look at Continental-Western Group out of Wisconsin. They insure military vehicles and were very easy to work with. Their rates are FAR better than you will have with the companies that insure mainstream motorists. They'll hold you to some rules like usage, miles, and indoor storage. Check them out at least.

Most importantly, do lots of :driver:
Join the rest of us :cookoo:
Get used to an occasional fit of aua
Feel free to give your 2cents
And... :grd:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The people running the Smyrna lot are from the Ft. Campbell GL. While I've never bought a truck from Ft. Campbell I have bought lots of other stuff. They have always been very helpfull and I don't think they would give you any trouble driving off. One thing about the Smyrna trucks that scares me is "driven on lot, will not start, may need jump". It may need more than just a jump. I don't think they should have put that on there because they don't know what's wrong with the truck other than it won't start.

Flea

I'm bidding on one that WILL start, according to the site... so perhaps I can hold them to that if something vital "goes missing." Also, it wouldn't be a vehicle worth owning if something didn't go wrong!

Flea

Also, it helps that the software company I work for wrote the software most county clerks (MV registration) use... without us, they'd be back in the stone age!!

houdel

Flea wrote "so perhaps I can hold them to that if something vital "goes missing.""

Don't even think that will work. With GL it is "Buyer Beware"! There have been too many horror stories on this site to the contrary. As long as the VIN listed matches what you pick up (and sometimes even that isn't good enough) whatever is there when you pick it up is all you are going to get!!!!

KaiserM109

Congrat's and go for it! All the way!

Here are a couple of links on this site to read through. http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=143 and http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=133417&highlight=#133417

I won the bid on an M109A3 (deuce with a box) from Ft. Riley, KS in June. Two problems, I got laid off the next day and a 109 is 11 ft tall. The height limit here is 13' 6"; on your side of the Mississippi it is 13' 0". That means if it got hauled it would have to be on a lowboy trailer ($$).

I had very little info on the truck. I didn’t even know what year it was. I contacted a wrecking company at Ft. Riley and they said that they could pick it up and hold it at their yard if I needed. My son and I decided that we would go out (500 miles) and see if we could drive it back. Then he got a new job and couldn’t go. I made up a 5’ tow bar to put on the front of my Bronco and made plans to go out alone.

Two days before D Day, I talked to the folks at GL and they said to call back in a couple of hours; they’d go see if it would start. Two hours later the answer was “No.” I pulled a battery out of an E350 van and one from a Crown Victoria, rounded up 2 sets of jumpers and headed out.

Long story shortened, there was a loose battery connection and it started on its own batteries. See http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=13923&postdays=0&postorder=asc for the whole story. It even had about 40 gallons of fuel! I left Ft. Riley with the Bronco in tow and put in 12 hours of wheel time in the next 16 hours. WEAR HEARING PROTECTION!!

If you’re bidding on an M35 you have some options about towing/hauling that I didn’t. You can haul it on a regular flat bed. You are also about 2 tons lighter and it can be towed easier.

Git ‘er done!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
houdel said:
Flea wrote "so perhaps I can hold them to that if something vital "goes missing.""

Don't even think that will work. With GL it is "Buyer Beware"! There have been too many horror stories on this site to the contrary. As long as the VIN listed matches what you pick up (and sometimes even that isn't good enough) whatever is there when you pick it up is all you are going to get!!!!
Oh, I wouldn't say that - several years ago they refunded a portion of my money because some components of a truck were missing.

Regards,
David