• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about Rebuilt(?) TH-400

cucvrus

30+ year old transmissions are not reliable. I work part time in an auto salvage yard and they don't sell things that old as a serviceable replacement component. You can buy it "as is" and cash and carry only. Little hard to sell a 30+ year old transmission and warrant it. At this point in time every component on a CUCV that needs replacement should be examined closely to see if the used salvage part you are replacing the used part with is worthy. Body parts are easy to answer. Complex components that have seals and many parts are a different story. I just opt to have it rebuilt at a competent shop and cut any losses of doing it again in a short time. No Haters here. Steering gears are about $250. and warranted for life. I had a 13K M1009 and pulled the box. I put it on another and the main seal leaked in a month. I bought a rebuilt one and the story ended right there. Good Luck.

Skinny

Yeah when it sits in a yard not being used or when the minimum wage dude pulls the stick and leaves it in the rain then sure it doesn't work.

So what you are advocating is that every CUCV due to it being 30 something years old needs a rebuilt drivetrain. Its all old and junk. Not sure I quite follow how every running original CUCV that the owner PM's and drives it down the road for years and a transmission I literally pulled last week is not serviceable.

Guess the 20 year old 8.1 I bought used is junk too and should have just sent it out for a full rebuild.

Crack is whack

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

LT67

30+ year old transmissions are not reliable. I work part time in an auto salvage yard and they don't sell things that old as a serviceable replacement component. You can buy it "as is" and cash and carry only. Little hard to sell a 30+ year old transmission and warrant it. At this point in time every component on a CUCV that needs replacement should be examined closely to see if the used salvage part you are replacing the used part with is worthy. Body parts are easy to answer. Complex components that have seals and many parts are a different story. I just opt to have it rebuilt at a competent shop and cut any losses of doing it again in a short time. No Haters here. Steering gears are about $250. and warranted for life. I had a 13K M1009 and pulled the box. I put it on another and the main seal leaked in a month. I bought a rebuilt one and the story ended right there. Good Luck.
At this point both of my old Turbo 400 trans have worked just fine. Lol they've been reliable when other stuff on both trucks needed to be replaced. I feel lucky so far

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah when it sits in a yard not being used or when the minimum wage dude pulls the stick and leaves it in the rain then sure it doesn't work.

So what you are advocating is that every CUCV due to it being 30 something years old needs a rebuilt drivetrain. Its all old and junk. Not sure I quite follow how every running original CUCV that the owner PM's and drives it down the road for years and a transmission I literally pulled last week is not serviceable.

Guess the 20 year old 8.1 I bought used is junk too and should have just sent it out for a full rebuild.

Crack is whack

Sounds like your the "hater" in the group. Let folks give thier advice without giving them grief about it. There is rarely one right way to do things.

Skinny

Why because I have an opinion that counters someone else? The fact is that used equipment is only as good as its condition and that age or mileage is fairly irrelevant.

Dont confuse differing opinion as hate. Thats pretty basic thinking.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why because I have an opinion that counters someone else? The fact is that used equipment is only as good as its condition and that age or mileage is fairly irrelevant.

Dont confuse differing opinion as hate. Thats pretty basic thinking.

Your the one who first used the label "hater" on someone who had a differing opinion from yours. Help the OP with your knowledge and experience amd stop hating on those with differing opinions from your own. That's is advanced thinking that takes into account that you may not be the smartest person in the room.

cucvrus

Lets think about what I said. If I were in need of a TH400 transmission and the local salvage yard had one in a truck the same year as mine and I was going to do the swap myself.
1.) I am doing it on the ground and with basic hand tools and a floor jack. I have a piece of plywood to set between the jack and pan.
2.) I acquire the used transmission and look it over. Drain the fluid and look at the pan. It has slight black and a dirty filter. I replace the front and rear seal. I clean it up some and buy $75. worth of parts and ATF.
3.) I install the used transmission and have no issues.
4.) I start it and it may work fine for a while but it may have a few issues that I hope work themselves out.
5.) A few days/months/weeks go by and I have another issue. It requires pulling the pan and checking the fluid. The fluid has more blackness and a few more items in the pan. Clutch particles.
6.) This has been my selling and buying experience with old automatic transmissions. Even transmissions that have low mileage. Time wears out seals and clutches just as well as mileage.

It has been my experience and many times I was sorry I didn't just opt to have the original one rebuilt and install it myself. I don't have the tools or know how to over haul a transmission and don't want to learn. Money well spent up front and doing the job right makes driving and enjoying my CUCV the main goal. If I skimp on the transmission but spend on a lift kit big tires and other non essential modifications. The CUCV will be setting parked more than being driven. I have a few TH400 transmissions. They came out of running driving CUCV's. History, use and abuse unknown. I keep them for the case and other parts that may be needed and if I need a transmission I send one out for rebuilding and skip the guess work and expense of installing an unknown component that is known to wear out with time and mileage.
Some of these guys are just wanting the transmission fixed and fixed for good. Doing it right the first time and maintaining it correctly is a great starting point. Beats trying to maintain an already questionable component. Good Luck. In the end it is your vehicle fix it as you see fit and are comfortable working with. Have a Great Day. Be Safe.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of the grime on that rebuilt trans leads me to believe it's not rebuilt, or if he did rebuild it, he has a filthy work environment. I'm not a trans person but no way I would rebuild one knowing that spooge could fall off and ruin my work. Theft of the new pan takes it to another level. For some reason auto trans rebuilders are way low on my list of trustworthy folks....below used car salesmen. I'd inconspicuously mark my stuff before sending it to as rebuilder. Shoot, I'd be willing to pay to watch the rebuild just to confirm what went into the trans.

cucvrus

At this point I think they have double out lived the life expectancy of the reliability. Get it rebuilt at a COMPETENT shop and drive on. I redo everyone at this point. I can't sell an old vehicle with a bad transmission and an old injection pump. Refresh both and all will be well. It's a Simple Task. Good Luck.

dougco1

At this point I think they have double out lived the life expectancy of the reliability. Get it rebuilt at a COMPETENT shop and drive on. I redo everyone at this point. I can't sell an old vehicle with a bad transmission and an old injection pump. Refresh both and all will be well. It's a Simple Task. Good Luck.
Rick, when you had Easter Find's transmission rebuilt I swear they put a shift kit in it.
I love it, it snaps your head back and can actually get rubber shifting from first to second as I am turning out of my drive. My riders are very impressed with what that old truck can do. Should be no clutch slippage in that tranny.

cucvrus

Probably should have the VRV adjusted. That can be hard on the transmission if it shifts that hard. My M1009's drive like they have a 350 gas motor in them after a fresh properly adjusted transmission and a new injection pump in stock form. I remember driving many CUCV's back when they were introduced. 1983-1984. The first pickup M1008 I drove I turn around and went back to the dealership. I had the service manager go for a ride because we both thought it was stuck in 2nd gear. I pulled over and counted the shifts it was in 3rd. Wow back then the auto OD transmission was in the civilian trucks and Blazers. I can still remember how strange thy looked when they were new.

Skinny

As much as I'd like to continue to contribute I don't have any more time. I've been really busy getting in touch with all of the local scrap yards to let them know that their engines and transmissions are are worthless.

But seriously, you are like $500 a way from being back up and running. I get it if you want to spend a lot of money to have somebody go through it for the peace of mind but don't let anybody convince you that used stuff is all junk.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My solution for not trusting the (transmission) man was to put a gearbox in. Currently has SM465 but it should be on the ground by Monday and the NV4500 finding it's way between the rails.

LT67

My solution for not trusting the (transmission) man was to put a gearbox in. Currently has SM465 but it should be on the ground by Monday and the NV4500 finding it's way between the rails.
How does your 6.2 diesel do with first to second gear change? My 79 K20 has the SM465 with a warmed up 406, so that wider gearing span from first to second gear ain't bad. Just curious how it was with a 6.2 diesel...

JD4044M

My TH400 in my Old 79 Chevy quit on a hill with a 11K lb trailer dragging the truck backwards on ice for a long ways till I ditched it to stop. After that tranny quit??? So I ordered a $1,300.00 rebuilt one shipped to me. I decided while waiting I would look into my old 40 plus year old transmission. I bought a book on rebuilding one and a kit for around $150.00 and tore it all apart carefully taking pictures. It was the Clutch Plates slipping causing the problem. I just followed the directions and a day later it was done. Back in the truck and been 3 years now still working great. If you need a rebuilt Mad Dog Beefed Tranny you can have the one I bought for $1,000.00 plus shipping. I have been saving it incase the one I rebuilt when South! So far it is great! There real easy to rebuild it your careful in doing it. I also replaced the Valve Body and put a Pan I can drain the fluid thru a Plug.100_2039.JPG100_2057.JPG100_2094.JPG100_2148.JPG

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been really busy getting in touch with all of the local scrap yards to let them know that their engines and transmissions are are worthless.
Total straw-man argument. Nobody said anything even close to that. One user cautions that buying used is a gamble, which it certainly is, based on actual experience. I tend to agree.

I think the OP's situation is evidence of that- because I don't believe they rebuilt his transmission, they took one out of a wreck or used an old one they had around the shop to sneak in some extra profit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks