• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about standard PMP and MWO tag on 5 ton trucks up for auction

Rifleman

I am looking at a few 5 ton trucks that are coming up for auction, now alot of them have a tag on the dash that says that the truck has been repaired in accordance with "standard PMP" at such and such date and miles. So my question is, what is PMP, is it a overhaul of the truck, and if so what all do they do to the truck when a standard PMP is done? Some truck also have tags on them that say MWO applied, so what does that mean? Is the MWO part of the PMP?

TehTDK

PMP = Preventive Maintenance Protocol

But I don't know what WMO is in this particular case. The only WMO I know of is Waste Motor Oil, but I don't think that is the right one in this case.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Modification work order. The tag should have a number engraved on it to designate what MWO has been performed. (100's of them)

TehTDK

Doghead:

Won't it be a worthwhile idea to make a thread/post that contains all these abbreviations added on one post?. I have found myself staring at the screen more then once trying to figure out what one or the other abbreviation mean but at the same time don't really think its prudent to make a thread etc whenever I want to know what a particular abbreviation means. Might be a WIP for the FAQ section?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the MWO is explained in the TMs

Modification Work Orders (MWO’s),
Since there are thousands of military specific accronyms, a sticky would be nearly useless.

Google "military, MWO, accronym", see if that helps. If so, try it next time your baffled.

Over

Amazing

I know it's an old thread......It still amazes me that a simple question never gets answered. I'm sure somebody on here in the past eons has found what RRAD has on the list for PMP. But it seems like the MRO suggestion for a sticky you just get politician type reply's. Helping spread useful info just to help used to be what it was all about. Here I come Google, lol. Flame on, I don't care, but if I find the answer I'll post it happily.

162tcat

And you resurrected a 5 year old post to add nothing useful.....
I know it's an old thread......It still amazes me that a simple question never gets answered. I'm sure somebody on here in the past eons has found what RRAD has on the list for PMP. But it seems like the MRO suggestion for a sticky you just get politician type reply's. Helping spread useful info just to help used to be what it was all about. Here I come Google, lol. Flame on, I don't care, but if I find the answer I'll post it happily.
Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

l3oss

Its my belife that most guys say “my truck was over hauled”.. then they flash a pic of the door tags MWO triangular tags. Those mwo tags are for basic maintenance. You can search the engraved numbers and they will show you things like… fuel filters changed, or oil changed. Now there the rectangle PMP dash tag paired with the “overhauled” door kick plate tag are applied for a true overhaul.
Truck 1984
Overhaul June 2010
Cummins MFG Engine Date
April 26 2010
Miles on Overhaul 2,969
Hours on Overhaul 123
But the guys only showing oil change MWO triangle tags saying “its been over hauled” … followed by a pic of low hours or low miles, these guys are out to lunch or missinformed. Maybe the tac was piled up with dust and debis so a new tac was put in it… etc.

Ive had aprox 20 trucks ive seen with my own eyes in front of me and only have only seen 1 with a true “OverHaul” done to it (with legit tags).
Just my 2 cents 🤷🏻‍♂️ AFB57844-4C27-4DF3-B4C3-9F1431748554.png05B9DE15-326C-42FC-8D6C-2D7FE784203C.jpegB9DC79EF-0BAD-468D-A620-F99640BD529F.jpeg05B9DE15-326C-42FC-8D6C-2D7FE784203C.jpegB9DC79EF-0BAD-468D-A620-F99640BD529F.jpegFB67CA50-23F0-4AE5-A642-DCFB8D571410.jpeg

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its my belife that most guys say “my truck was over hauled”.. then they flash a pic of the door tags MWO triangular tags. Those mwo tags are for basic maintenance. You can search the engraved numbers and they will show you things like… fuel filters changed, or oil changed. Now there the rectangle PMP dash tag paired with the “overhauled” door kick plate tag are applied for a true overhaul.
Truck 1984
Overhaul June 2010
Cummins MFG Engine Date
April 26 2010
Miles on Overhaul 2,969
Hours on Overhaul 123
But the guys only showing oil change MWO triangle tags saying “its been over hauled” … followed by a pic of low hours or low miles, these guys are out to lunch or missinformed. Maybe the tac was piled up with dust and debis so a new tac was put in it… etc.

Ive had aprox 20 trucks ive seen with my own eyes in front of me and only have only seen 1 with a true “OverHaul” done to it (with legit tags).
Just my 2 cents 🤷🏻‍♂️ View attachment 844265View attachment 844260View attachment 844261View attachment 844260View attachment 844261View attachment 844264
I concur. The RRAD M939 series trucks that have come out were NOT overhauled in the true sense of the term in most cases. There could have been a few trucks that had all rebuilt mechanical components, but that was not the rule. I, and others, have stated this previously, but they did receive a lot of nice things like new tires, new paint, new seat cushions, new windshields (not always), fiberglass troop seats, lights. Most times, the engines and other mechanical equipment were not rebuilt. I believe they determined whether a truck needed a new engine/transmission/transfer case/etc. Then, if it did, they would put a rebuilt unit in. I DID have an M934 with a rebuilt NHC250 in it. That truck had the original transmission and transfer case. But, I also had an M928A2, M923A2, M925A2, and M923 (and inspected many others) that just got the "clean the engine and paint it" routine. I have had trucks that came through the RRAD program that had problems...noisy accessory drive, valve tap, flaking paint (on their new paint job), smashed hood that was straightened prior to painting, etc. I have posted about this previously. The RRAD trucks look pretty. But, pretty does not equate to new or rebuilt. I am not saying that I would not prefer one of those trucks, as I probably would. They do have a lot of nice stuff on them that costs a lot of money to upgrade. But, they are NOT generally completed overhauled/rebuilt trucks.

Someone (HALFTRACK in Louisiana, perhaps) posted a POWERPOINT about what was done. The trucks were prettied up and made functional.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amazing

It has been answered back in 2012 if you search . And this was the first hit with a google search

Read post #8 of this thread RED River Army Depot
It is wsucougarx's post.

1630848129811.png

Guyfang

Staff member
Those mwo tags are for basic maintenance.

I beg to highly disagree. An MWO, Modification Work Order title, says it all. Its a modification to the equipment. It is a very significant CHANGE to a piece of equipment. An MWO comes with a set of published instructions, a check list, and a reply to TACOM/DOD is required, when accomplished. Some MWO's can even change the Model number for equipment. Some very important MWO's are applied by special teams sent out by TACOM/DOD to apply the MWO properly, or because the owning units do not have the proper equipment to execute the work.

Guyfang

Staff member
Truck 1984
Overhaul June 2010
Cummins MFG Engine Date
April 26 2010
Miles on Overhaul 2,969
Hours on Overhaul 123
But the guys only showing oil change MWO triangle (No such thing partner.) tags saying “its been over hauled” … followed by a pic of low hours or low miles, these guys are out to lunch or missinformed. Maybe the tac was piled up with dust and debis so a new tac was put in it… etc.

Just my 2 cents 🤷🏻‍♂️ View attachment 844265View attachment 844260View attachment 844261View attachment 844260View attachment 844261View attachment 844264
Open to see comment.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Banks and Credit Card companies have a thing called "Truth In Lending" that they need to comply with.

Sadly, Truth In Selling - not so much. Especially in the used vehicle market.

Whatever you do, IGNORE any claims of rebuild based on any little triangular tags on the door of a military vehicle. Even those stickers for RRAD can be duplicated with a home or a Kinko's printer. There are ways to verify a rebuild if you have the time and a vehicle serial number.

This community is generally good and the people are upstanding.
THERE ARE CROOKS in our midst though, so whatever you do - just because somebody says it is so (and they are the seller) doesn't make it true.

There are several guys on this board that sell trucks and equipment. I know quite a few that I would trust to send a good friend to for a Big Green (Tan) Truck. There are also companies here that advertise Used MV's For Sale. Find somebody like that before you throw down your money.

Most importantly, if the deal sounds too good to be true then most likely it is. Ask questions. Ask the opinions of others looking to buy something like what you want. There are more than enough trucks and equipment to go around - so don't rush your purchase.

-----

Quick Story: I bought a truck from a member three states away. I saw pictures. I talked to the guy. We made a deal. Money was passed to this person and his truck became mine and it was loaded on a trailer. First time I saw it in person was as it was driven by me off the trailer.

My truck was everything that the seller told me it was and more. It was and still is a fantastic deal!

-----

I have also had experiences that were not that good. Not awful on any of those other trucks, but not nearly as good as this most recent purchase. It is just money. You can choose to spend it wisely or just hope for the best and hope you can fix whatever is missing, broken or lied about. You won't know until you start digging into your new toy and how much that learning is going to cost you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks