• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question About Starter/Shims Installation

jplace1011

I am wondering, when installing a Starter into my 1985 CUCV M1009, are Shims required?

Not long ago the Old Starter was sparking when I started the engine. I discovered the whole starter was lose. The Cover was also lose and a Bolt was bent. We installed a New Starter, my buddy just had to drill a New Hole into the Starter Bracket. After that it started really well.

Last week a Mobile Mechanic (different mechanic than the one who installed the new Starter) took out the Starter to make room for Replacing the Motor Mounts. He made a comment about the Bracket Didn’t fit properly. It’s possible he’s right or just full of it.

Now I have noticed it sounds different when I start the engine. Maybe a little grinding going on at/near the Starter area.

I’m wondering if he just installed it wrong or does my Starter need Shins as stated on this Page (below) I found online?

I’m replacing the Oil Pan soon, so I figure the Starter can get reinstalled properly while we’re at it.

Thank you in advance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cucvrus

The original starters on the CUCV were a direct drive Delco Remy with a closed nose. I heard it called a Mudder nose starter in the past. It was a very strong nose, and I can assume it was designed to keep mud out. Not sure how that would work. I had a few of the Mudder nose starter packed full of mud and fail also. As far as shimming I have seen many threads online about the proper way to check if the shim is needed or not. I was told if you hear the starter is biding it needs a shim. I was also told that the starter can stay engaged after you release the key and that may indicate a shim is needed. Opinions and methods vary. I use a starter rebuilder in my area, I trust and rely on his knowledge to provide me with reliable rebuilt electrical components. Just replacing a few parts in a starter and alternator is not a rebuild. These trucks are getting old and old wears things out. Low amperage and long crank times take a huge toll on the internal components of a starter and alternator. Have your components checked and rebuilt if needed by a competent rebuilder. Good Luck and Happy Holidays. Don't be that guy that saved a few dollars and is sitting along the road 20 miles from home. Do it right the first time with no second guessing.