• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about tubes for 395/85R20s with stock rims.

Boosted_Nelson_Inc.

Alright, I've been reading some other posts about mounting 395/85R20s on stock deuce rims, and I'm a not sure which tubes I need. I've seen people saying they used stock 9-20 tubes with these tires, 11-20s, 12.5-20, and 13-20s. What do I need? It seems like the ideal setup would be the 13-20s, but if I can save some cash using smaller tubes, I'd like to. The M35 only gets driven a couple times a month, rarely more than 50 miles a day, and normally less than about 2,500 lbs of cargo. If the only real advantage to larger tubes is increased load carrying ability then it doesn't really matter to me. I just need to be able to go down the road at 55 mph without losing a tire.

Also, my brother and I are fairly mechanically competent, and we'd like to try to mount the tires ourselves. Do we actually need specialty tools or will prybars and hammers get the job done? The local Ag tire place said it'd probably cost about $350 in labor to mount 7 tires.

Thanks

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You will be able to do them yourself with hand tools. The CORRECT tube to use is a 13/14r20 tube, make sure it is a radial rated tube. They are not cheap.

I got mine from here:
http://tireinnertubesforsale.com/

ask for Rusty.

$400 for 7 delivered.

Last edited:

Boosted_Nelson_Inc.

11-20 from a 5 ton

I can get 11-20 tubes from a 5 ton for free (assuming I buy 14-R20s for my 5 ton), because I already have the combat rims for that. So I'll have 11 11-20 tubes sitting around. Couldn't I just use those? Does anyone who did use smaller tubes (9.00-20, 11-20, 12-20) have any problems? Prone to getting flats, poor handling, something like that.

Boosted_Nelson_Inc.

Ended up just having the local tire shop order me new tubes and they're going to install them. I'd rather have saved the money and done it myself but I just wanted it done now and didn't want to wait. Hope to pick them up in a day or two.

Last edited: