• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question: Best brand / Place to buy touch up paint for HUMVEE ?

JoeJrTheBarber

With the addition to some aftermarket items to my new to me 1988 Humvee I was wondering what the best brand spraypaint
is out there to give the closest match to the original CARC paint on the truck ? The generally available "military" paint doesn't come close, hence my question.
Also where to source this amazing product would be very helpful as well..

Thanks in advance,

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the addition to some aftermarket items to my new to me 1988 Humvee I was wondering what the best brand spraypaint
is out there to give the closest match to the original CARC paint on the truck ? The generally available "military" paint doesn't come close, hence my question.
Also where to source this amazing product would be very helpful as well..

Thanks in advance,
Whether your truck is tan, green, woodland or a collection of different colored parts, unfortunately you will never match the color of faded CARC paint - unless you specifically have a new paint made that is whatever degree of fade you have but then it won't match in a few more years of sun exposure as the different paints likely won't fade at the same rate or same way.

That said, for ease of use and proper color match and just plain availability, I'm a big fan of Rapco CARC substitute paint. It is available in proper 383 green/brown and 686 tan (for black I prefer Krylon's Ultra Flat black "Camouflage" paint as it is cheaper than Rapco and its spray nozzle is superior, IMO). For little projects, additions and sometimes touch ups I like the spray cans. I purchased the gallon can when I had my M35A2's hard top professionally sandblasted and painted. Be advised that it is not as flat or chalky as CARC, that's because it isn't CARC, but it is a flat enamel paint. Though some complain about it having a slight sheen. I personally think it looks great and I love it.

Buy it by the gallon, case of spray cans, or even individual cans as you please and budget allows:

http://www.rapcoparts.com/manuals.html

I know of a local source (to me) that will sell actual CARC to civilians (see the below link for the info in my thread), but in 2016 it was over $180 per gallon.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...M66-Gun-Ring&p=1882531&viewfull=1#post1882531

Last edited:

JoeJrTheBarber

Whether your truck is tan, green, woodland or a collection of different colored parts, unfortunately you will never match the color of faded CARC paint - unless you specifically have a new paint made that is whatever degree of fade you have but then it won't match in a few more years of sun exposure as the different paints likely won't fade at the same rate or same way.

That said, for ease of use and proper color match and just plain availability, I'm a big fan of Rapco CARC substitute paint. It is available in proper 383 green/brown and 686 tan (for black I prefer Krylon's Ultra Flat black "Camouflage" paint as it is cheaper than Rapco and its spray nozzle is superior, IMO). For little projects, additions and sometimes touch ups I like the spray cans. I purchased the gallon can when I had my M35A2's hard top professionally sandblasted and painted. Be advised that it is not as flat or chalky as CARC, that's because it isn't CARC, but it is a flat enamel paint. Though some complain about it having a slight sheen. I personally think it looks great and I love it.

Buy it by the gallon, case of spray cans, or even individual cans as you please and budget allows:

http://www.rapcoparts.com/manuals.html

I know of a local source (to me) that will sell actual CARC to civilians (see the below link for the info in my thread), but in 2016 it was over $180 per gallon.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...M66-Gun-Ring&p=1882531&viewfull=1#post1882531
Thanks !

Gunzy

Use the Rapco for your touch up areas the WD40 the entire truck. Initially it will be pretty shiny but after a few days it will look more like new CARC. Here in my HEMTT before and after a WD40 coating. I even sprayed the tires and wheels too. I picked up a 1 gallon yard sprayer pump and 2 gallons of WD40. Used about 1 1/4 gallon to do the whole rig.17191498_1458498170829204_8012902991030143254_n.jpg18920198_10206935167938131_7817932734188664844_n.jpg

joel

I went to home depot with paint sample from my mule, they matched it pretty good, the paint on the mule was the faded green from years ago. I got just a sample as I just painted spots(it was camo-painted) Some parts I used the spray-can paint from Rapco

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a few gallons of PPG Single part CARC paint that I might part with if you want to maintain what it is designed to do. I do not have tan! Green, Brown, Black, and primer. If you don;t care if it is carc or not go with something like a spray on latex. If you want a newer look, I have seen folks spray on a clear coat. (semi gloss or mat looks good). CARC properties are affected by oils and other paint products covering them. If you have a FLIR you can check it out

JoeJrTheBarber

Use the Rapco for your touch up areas the WD40 the entire truck. Initially it will be pretty shiny but after a few days it will look more like new CARC. Here in my HEMTT before and after a WD40 coating. I even sprayed the tires and wheels too. I picked up a 1 gallon yard sprayer pump and 2 gallons of WD40. Used about 1 1/4 gallon to do the whole rig.View attachment 717270View attachment 717271
I did the same thing to mine but used ATF instead of WD-40. Was abit of a mess getting it done but was and still are amazed at the results.

Sintorion

It is kind of expensive for tough up, but Sherwin Williams sells the real CARC paint. You have to buy a gallon and it will cost you about $100, but it is a perfect match.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Bumping this thread, is rapco still the best option?
RAPCO is a good bunch of people. I have been using their stuff for about a year and it has done well for me. The color definitely will not match sun faded (color) but it seems to hold up well.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paint and restoration forum has all these answers including the Behr paint thread that are pretty amazing

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks