• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question for the experts

sarge_3ad

I'm considering buying a 813 5 ton for parts for my M109A3. Specifically cab parts such as the hard top, bucket spring seats, windshield, etc. Will the cab parts from a 5 ton work on a duece and a half?

Also was wondering if I could adapt the 5tons power steering to the duece?

Thanks for your help.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Sarge, welcome to the site!

Yes, the cab parts are all interchangable between the deuce, older series 5 tons, and even 10 tons.

Not sure on the power steering box, it maybe too large to use. Finding a way to pully drive the pump might be a problem too. The 5 ton version of the LDT, the LDS, came with a power steering pump that is driven off the gear train and mounds directly in front of the IP pump. From what I have seen on here, you just need to cut some radiator sheet metal to make it fit.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The entire cab is the same except the dash panel and I think there is some small change to firewall. So doors, windshields, seats, hard top, etc. will all work.

I guess anyone with enough time and welding rod could adapt a 5 ton PS setup to the deuce but there are better ways out there (easier, etc.) like the air PS setups and M-35 tom's PS conversion using a PS box off a civvy truck.

sarge_3ad

The entire cab is the same except the dash panel and I think there is some small change to firewall. So doors, windshields, seats, hard top, etc. will all work.

I guess anyone with enough time and welding rod could adapt a 5 ton PS setup to the deuce but there are better ways out there (easier, etc.) like the air PS setups and M-35 tom's PS conversion using a PS box off a civvy truck.

Do you have more info on this?

Gotta admit, I was a Small Arms man (45B20) in the Army, and never knew much about the mechanic of these wonderful vehicles. Wished I learned more.

I'm considering buying a 813 5 ton for parts for my M109A3. Specifically cab parts such as the hard top, bucket spring seats, windshield, etc. Will the cab parts from a 5 ton work on a duece and a half?

Also was wondering if I could adapt the 5tons power steering to the duece?

Thanks for your help.
Is the M813 in bad shape? If not you could sell the M813 and buy 2 or 3 M109s.

If you do part out the M813, I may be interested in some parts.