• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question for thining rapco paints

bonedoc

Quick question. I received my Rapco paints just a few days ago and plan to start spraying in the next couple days. The Rapco site calls for Xylene to thin the paint. My local hardware store has Xylol which has Xylene in it. Will this work or should I get straight Xylene. I called Rapco and the woman I spoke to just said that Xylene is what they call for I'd stick with that. My hardware store and what I've found on google says that the 2 or basically the same thing. Anyone with experience know the difference...if there is one?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Different environments require different thinners. I was instructed to use mineral spirits here in FL where the heat and humidity is high. The spirits keeps the wet edge wet a little longer to get that next pass on. I've done 3 trucks using the Gillespie and spirits with nice results.

bonedoc

Thanks...I'm a little lost as to which is better when. I'm trying to find out that info. Up here in the northeast it can be hot and humid but not to Florida's standards I'm sure.

bonedoc

Okay guys...think I got my answer. Found it on the sunnyside website.

Is Xylol the same as Xylene?
Yes, xylene is the chemical name for Xylol.

[h=1]What Is the Difference between Xylene and Xylol?[/h]
[h=2]Answer[/h]There is no difference between Xylene and Xylol. Xylene is the brand-name of the chemical xylol. Both are petrochemical solvents and chemically identical.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Last edited:

jasonjc

Different environments require different thinners. I was instructed to use mineral spirits here in FL where the heat and humidity is high. The spirits keeps the wet edge wet a little longer to get that next pass on. I've done 3 trucks using the Gillespie and spirits with nice results.

I've always used mineral spirits also.

OPPS now that I see BILL W's post, I'm thinking it was naptha that I used.

Last edited:

Bill W

In my experience Mineral spirits is a slow dry,Naptha is a medium dry and Xylene has a faster dry time. If I was shooting outside in the sun then I would use Mineral spirits but thats just my opinion, either way you really can't screw up Gillespie paint, it is the most forgiving paint you'll ever shoot

two.fiveM35

Ok, I know this has been asked 1000 time, what is the ratio paint to thinner that you guys are using, or does it depend on the application device ?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Straight from Rapco's webpage
http://www.rapcoparts.com/manuals.html

PAINT THINNING RECOMMENDATION

Thinning ratio for paint & primer is 4 parts paint or primer & 1 part thinner. Most of our customers prefer XYLENE. If you have a Gallon of paint or primer that has set for some time, you will need to scrape the bottom of the can and put it on an agitator for a minimum of 10 minutes to ensure the proper quality. XYLENE can be purchased at your local hardware store.

Ray70

Bill W has it right. Paint thinner and mineral spirits for hot temps, Naptha for medium temps. Xylene for cool temps and you can use acetone for the fastest drying in cold temps. Thin it 10% up to 25% depending on your equipment. If you have painted with other automotive paints, this stuff will spray a little bit different. Don't worry too much about getting it smooth right out of the gun, it will slowly flow out a minute after you shoot it. If you try getting it to flow nice right off the gun you will end up going too heavy and get runs due to the relatively slow flash time compared to automotive paints. If you're spraying outside in hot temps the spray characteristics will change a bit. I usually spray indoors at 60-75 degrees depending on the season and have very little experience spraying out in the sun, so runs may not be an issue for you.

1958 M274

I've had had good luck with Gillespie mixing 25% mineral spirits, 75% paint. Depending on temperature and how it flows I usually spray at 30-40 psi out of a Binks one quart siphon type paint gun.

diluted

Anyone had issues with Rapco not responding to emails? I ordered 2 cases of spray paint from them on August 30th and haven't heard anything back or had an order status update.

B3.3T

I have used both spirits and Xylene on over 20 vehicles with equally good results. The biggest trick to doing a good job is to relax and take your time. Do your prep, make certain everything is clean and primed if bare metal. Good quality metal primer is essential.

ckinger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just received an order from RAPCO on Aug. 25. It was ordered on Aug.17. I cant say I've ever had any issues with them. Give it a couple of days. My previous order took about two weeks or so, but I got it with out any problems.

Hitman

mark has been busy he was the only on at work. Apirl broke her leg and 2 of the guys have not been showing up for work. just hang in there and he will get it out.he has his mom coming in to help out on the phone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks