• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question; M1009 CB Power Wiring

jplace1011

I have a real quick question. I just bought a new CB (President MCKINLEY USA SSB 12/24V CB Radio) for my M1009. The instructions say to power it by running the small red wire directly to the positive battery post and the same for the black negative wire, run it to the neg. battery post.

*There’s a 2A Fuse (tube shape/style) near the end of the Red Wire, the end that goes to the battery. Not sure if that matters, just want to mention that.

I’ve been told if I wire it directly to the battery, I can use the CB without having to turn the vehicle to the ACC or Run Position. I do like the idea of not needing the key to use it, in case of an emergency.

Since I have two batteries, is there a specific way to wire it to one of the batteries? I just want to double check, so as not to fry something again!

Thank you for any advice/input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Keith_J

Either battery works direct connection as long as the device has isolated negative to chassis. Modern automobile electronics have isolated ground to negative due to the predominantly plastic interiors. Test with multimeter in ohms mode. You are looking for OL or no change on the meter.

If isolated negative, you can direct connect to the back battery BUT the negative will be 12 volts to vehicle chassis so it needs a fuse too. Using the back battery will reduce noise from wiper and blower motor.

jplace1011

Either battery works direct connection as long as the device has isolated negative to chassis. Modern automobile electronics have isolated ground to negative due to the predominantly plastic interiors. Test with multimeter in ohms mode. You are looking for OL or no change on the meter.

If isolated negative, you can direct connect to the back battery BUT the negative will be 12 volts to vehicle chassis so it needs a fuse too. Using the back battery will reduce noise from wiper and blower motor.
@Keith_J

I will also ask about the type of grounding the cb has. I can ask in a CB Facebook Group. Thank you sir!

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a real quick question. I just bought a new CB (President MCKINLEY USA SSB 12/24V CB Radio) for my M1009. The instructions say to power it by running the small red wire directly to the positive battery post and the same for the black negative wire, run it to the neg. battery post.

*There’s a 2A Fuse (tube shape/style) near the end of the Red Wire, the end that goes to the battery. Not sure if that matters, just want to mention that.

I’ve been told if I wire it directly to the battery, I can use the CB without having to turn the vehicle to the ACC or Run Position. I do like the idea of not needing the key to use it, in case of an emergency.

Since I have two batteries, is there a specific way to wire it to one of the batteries? I just want to double check, so as not to fry something again!

Thank you for any advice/input!

@jplace1011 , If you decide to wire the radio directly to the battery - or if you wire it so the ignition is on for it to function - having a fuse as close as possible to the connection point (source juice) is a good plan. You could put spare fuses in the glove box, or you could step up to a circuit breaker that will reset itself.

jplace1011

@jplace1011 , If you decide to wire the radio directly to the battery - or if you wire it so the ignition is on for it to function - having a fuse as close as possible to the connection point (source juice) is a good plan. You could put spare fuses in the glove box, or you could step up to a circuit breaker that will reset itself.
@Keith_J @Barrman @Mullaney

The CB Red Wire has a 2A Fuse at the end that goes to the Power Source end of the wire. Great idea about having spare fuses, I’ll get on that!

I am wondering, could I just hook the Red (positive) End up to the Pos Post on the Rear Battery and then for the Black Wire, hook it up to the Ground Piece Under the dash (pic below). Or does it have to go to the Neg. Battery post?

This was suggested to me, which is why I ask.

Barrman

Your truck is still 12 and 24 volt, right? If you still have the 12/24 volt set up the rear battery is the 24 volt part of that system and totally isolated from the 12 volt part of the truck until you connect something like a CB radio to it. Then, the 24 volts will let the magic smoke out of your expensive radio.

Yes, in a normal vehicle you could use the ground under the dash and it would probably be fine. There are also fuses that have constant 12 volt power that with a fuse power tap would allow you to hook into them as well.

If you want to wire to the batteries, the front one is the 12 volt part of the system and will work with no drama.

jplace1011

Your truck is still 12 and 24 volt, right? If you still have the 12/24 volt set up the rear battery is the 24 volt part of that system and totally isolated from the 12 volt part of the truck until you connect something like a CB radio to it. Then, the 24 volts will let the magic smoke out of your expensive radio.

Yes, in a normal vehicle you could use the ground under the dash and it would probably be fine. There are also fuses that have constant 12 volt power that with a fuse power tap would allow you to hook into them as well.

If you want to wire to the batteries, the front one is the 12 volt part of the system and will work with no drama.
@Barrman whooooa!!! This is exactly why I ask so many questions! It smells like..sounds like I just avoided another Hot electrical mess!

I still have 24v in the engine compartment and 12v in the cab via the Power Buss in there.

Am I right in thinking:

1. I can either hook up to the Positive Post on the Front Battery. Do I connect the CB black wire to the Front Neg Battery Post or can I ground it on the wall (under the dash) on the 6 legged piece?

2. Or I can hook the CB up via the Rear 12v Buss Bar (in the cab). I doubt I’ll do it that way, but that’s a good back up plan.

ssdvc

I think that the ground pictured above (and located, roughly, on the drivers side, under the dash, above the emergency brake pivot point) is for any 12v ground. 12v negative requirements of the CB should be able to be met by that ground connection point (clean first).

Barrman

Yes, the 6 legged ground on the parking brake mount is a great ground for 12 volt stuff. While you are there, unbolt it and clean the contact surface with the truck before bolting it back on again.

There are 3 places on your truck that have easily accessible 24 volts. The firewall Buss bar, the slave cable port in the grill and the Buss bar behind the passenger door for the 24 volt military radio. If you have covers for them, keep the covers on because 24 volts hurts when your finger or sweaty arm connects it to ground. It really hurts 12 volt electric stuff too.

jplace1011

@ssdvc Try Hillbilly Wizard. That’s were I got my Replacement Buss Bar.

@Barrman I ended up converting the Buss Bar (in the cab) into a 12V Buss Bar. The reason I had to do that is because the prior owner installed a power inverter and KC lights both connected to that Buss Bar, both are 12V.

He originally modified part of the Buss Bar in the Engine Compartment. So I figured why not just have the option of 24V and 12V Buss Bars.

jplace1011

The interior Buss bar is great if you are a coffee or tea person and get an armored vehicle water warmer. Good for MRE eating and Mountain House meals too.
Ugh!! I happened to see this today when looking at the CB I’m installing soon. So does that mean I have to Ground it on the Neg Battery Post and can’t ground it under the dash after all?

Keith_J

@Keith_J @Barrman @Mullaney

The CB Red Wire has a 2A Fuse at the end that goes to the Power Source end of the wire. Great idea about having spare fuses, I’ll get on that!

I am wondering, could I just hook the Red (positive) End up to the Pos Post on the Rear Battery and then for the Black Wire, hook it up to the Ground Piece Under the dash (pic below). Or does it have to go to the Neg. Battery post?

This was suggested to me, which is why I ask.

Ugh!! I happened to see this today when looking at the CB I’m installing soon. So does that mean I have to Ground it on the Neg Battery Post and can’t ground it under the dash after all?

That only means it can only be powered by the front battery.

jplace1011

You are fine as Keith wrote. They probably put that label on because of the British positive ground vehicles of the past. Think Land Rover. My 1967 Cooper S was like that until I converted it to negative ground. Made hooking anything up a science experiment.
You are fine as Keith wrote. They probably put that label on because of the British positive ground vehicles of the past. Think Land Rover. My 1967 Cooper S was like that until I converted it to negative ground. Made hooking anything up a science experiment.

I discovered the CB Radio is 12 And 24 Volt! I went ahead and connected the CB Positive and Neg wires directly up to the Front Battery Posts. This is what the Manufacturer recommended, when I called them last week.

To avoid any potential battery draining from the CB, I added a Toggle Switch to the Positive Wire for the CB. It was a bit of a pain installing. Because I had to keep cutting up the plastic piece in the dash where the Toggle Switch is. During this, It was kind of cool to discover where they intended the am fm radios to go.

I have a small external speaker as well, so as to hear things better when driving, etc.

I can’t say enough about having a Dremel when working on the CUCV! It’s saved me many times now and it’s so versatile!

The small panel, where the single toggle switch is, has plenty of room left if I add any more switched, etc.

Thank you for all of your help and encouragement everyone! I appreciate each and everyone of you!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks