• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

question on 5 tons please

bcowanwheels

does any of the 5 ton mil. trucks have clutch pedels ? reason I,am asking is I,d consider installing a rto-9515 or rto-9513 trans fuller and ditch all the military trans stuff.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Probably would be easily answered just reading a few posts here on what 5 ton trucks had manual transmissions. (M39 and M809 series)

You'd have to do a lot of fabrication to put a longer transmission in. (Moving the t-case back, shortening the rear shaft, lengthening the front, redoing the linkages, plumbing up the air lines, exc.)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the M809 series did.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The fuller is to wide, the front drive shaft will not clear, the pto is on the bottom, which makes shafting to the front winch a bit hard, though you could go hyd. drive it. The bad thing about a bottom mount pto is that it tends to get hit when off road.

wcuhillbilly

does any of the 5 ton mil. trucks have clutch pedels ? reason I,am asking is I,d consider installing a rto-9515 or rto-9513 trans fuller and ditch all the military trans stuff.
Bob, Do your homework, These guys dont tolorate the spoon feeding like the other sites youve been on (OR, banned from) over the past few years. Read the Tech manuals and go junkyarding...

jatonka

The only fuller road ranger that might work would be RT 610 or RTO 613. They were put behind DT 466 and Cat 3208. Still might be too wide, I don't know. JT

bcowanwheels

How wide is the frame rails on one of these ? i dont have one i can measure but i do have a 855 bellhsg for the 13 or 15 speed fuller. the 9 series trans i still think can be made to work. boy that would sure make the truck alot better imo especially with the low hp it has. and with the long wheel base setting the t-case back isnt a problem.
bob

P/S
concernning the rude poster, do your homework before you make outlansish posts. very immature.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The only fuller road ranger that might work would be RT 610 or RTO 613. They were put behind DT 466 and Cat 3208. Still might be too wide, I don't know. JT
If could have used a fuller, It would have been in the m819 YEARS ago, on the drivers side, there is just inches from the spicer and the front drive shaft, now that I am not running a front drive shaft, and will be replacing the rears with another set of rears with a different ratio, it looks like there will not be a front drive shaft at all in the future, now just need to find a trans with a side pto mount.

Baradium

If could have used a fuller, It would have been in the m819 YEARS ago, on the drivers side, there is just inches from the spicer and the front drive shaft, now that I am not running a front drive shaft, and will be replacing the rears with another set of rears with a different ratio, it looks like there will not be a front drive shaft at all in the future, now just need to find a trans with a side pto mount.
If you found a front with the same ratio as you'll have in your rears, there is another possible solution. One of our fire trucks that is 4x4 has a power divider mounted on the rear axle flipped around so that it shoots a driveshaft forward and then it goes to the front axle via carrier bearings. This isn't the best setup for hard core offroad, and in this case was done because of length issues (pump takes up a lot of space!) but it is a solution to clearance issues with a transfercase on a transmission.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have more of a issue of side mounted pto, the front drive shaft could be a work around, BUT with my new rears, if I am someplace that I need front wheel drive, the 36,000lb m819 is someplace where it should not be in the first place.

The idea of a power divider as a aux. drive power source is out standing, a example of great out the box thinking

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
73M819 what ratio ?
5 something, power divider, air brakes, controllable locking, should be a late spring/summer build, hope to be done in time for the 15SSGAR

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Hey Ron what about a power divider off a 816 and running it backwards so that the extra output runs forward or even a regular transfer case from a 4x4 and run it off of your transfer case PTO.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty much all trucks (1/2-ton to class 8) until recent times have a 34" frame width. Some of the newer smaller trucks are different but 34" was the standard for a long time.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hey Ron what about a power divider off a 816 and running it backwards so that the extra output runs forward or even a regular transfer case from a 4x4 and run it off of your transfer case PTO.
My transfer case will be already driving a power divider for my yet to be installed rear winch, but that is a thought that I had not thought of. a pto off the power divider, or a splitter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks