• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

question on a m54a2 transfer case

mthullm54a2

I have just perchesed my first military vehicle an m54a2 and has some transfercase issues it wont shift into high range i took off the cover plate by the selecter assy and noticed that the syncrode dose not move back and forth but up and down so i think that is my problem. I dont have a transmission jack for that weight i only have about a 400lb one can i dismantale it while it is still in the truck ? and dose anyone have any advice

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The T-138 transfer case cannot be split open for repair while mounted in the truck. It is VERY heavy so use a strong transmission jack so you do not have an accident. I would make 100% sure the shift linkage is moving the shift rod to the detent positions before I pulled that monster. Oh and welcome to the site and good luck with your 5 ton.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with NDT about the first things to try and safety. Make sure all shift linkages are freely moving and moving the shift rod in the transfer they attach to. We have found them rusted tight on some trucks that sat idle for a long time. You did not mention whether or not your lever moved completely from low to high positions in the cab but the t-case did not shift anyway. If all linkages are free and the rod into the t-case moves in and out with shift lever position changes then you have a problem in the t-case.

mthullm54a2

thank you , and the all the linkages move freely and has the full range of travel . besides the transfer case the turbo is not working and missing pto drive shaft it is all in good shape other then the white spraypaint job somone did to it . I just found a 4000lb jack so guess thats my next step

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I dropped mine using a come-a-long and a few snatch blocks to run the cable to where it needed to be, came down nice and went up easy, though it took two people to get it aligned.

You need to get two 20 ton jacks and 6x6 blocking to stay on the truck as part of the truck kit.

Last edited: