• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question on a MEP002 from the Electrically Ignorant

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was talking to a guy today about military generators, single phase/3 phase, 120/240, etc, etc when he asked how many amps the 5k put out. Being ignorant of basic electrical principles I just gave him a vacant stare.

All I need to know is where to check the fluids, start it, and plug the cord in, right?

So the question is regarding amperage so next time I don't look like a complete baffoon (just a partial one).

DieselBob

Here you go. From TM 5-6115-584-12

US DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
GENERATOR SET DIESEL ENGINE 5KW 60 Hz
MODEL: MEP 002A
SER NO.:
NSN: 6115-00-465-1044
REG NO.:
TM 5-6115-584-12
TO-35C2-3-456-1
NAVFAC P-8-622-12
TM-05682C-12
VOLTS: 120V 1 PH.
120/240V 1 PH.
120/208V 3PH.
PF: 0.8
AMPS: 52,26,17.3
LG: 51 IN
W: 32 IN
HGT: 37 IN

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
VOLTS: 120V 1 PH.
120/240V 1 PH.
120/208V 3PH.
PF: 0.8
AMPS: 52,26,17.3
I'm going to go out on a limb here (please be gentle if I'm too stupid) and guess it goes:

120V 1 PH. = 52 amps

120/240V 1 PH. = 26 amps

120/208V 3PH. = 17.3 amps?

SouthwestUSA

I'm "electrically challenged" myself, and hope to use one of my MEP-002 generators to power my 5th wheel trailer.

Rather than use the 110 adapter on the power cord coming out of my 5th wheel, I'd rather much fabricate a 50 AMP plug (such as those found at KOA campgrounds and parks)... Does anyone have tips on this? I suspect I just need to hire an electrician to come out here, but I'd sure like to have most of the components in place for him so he can tap into the electric lugs I see inside the gen-set and wire my rig up...

Ken_86gt

An electrician should have no trouble wiring a 50 amp rated receptacle to your generator. All you need a couple feet of cable (wire), a receptacle, and a ground rod with acorn. Keep in mind that most electricians don't know how to operate your generator- so you will have to figure that out. If you post you location I would think that there are members local to you that you could meet up with to show you how to wire it up yourself.

SouthwestUSA

I appreciate the info and help... The generator was easy to start. I changed the filters, put new oil in (having the diesel ratings) installed new batteries. It shook, and rattled and coughed for about 20 seconds and came to life, as if it were Frankenstein. I didn't want to run it long without a load on it due to wet-stacking issues. I'll probably snap some photos of the terminal lugs and take them and my manual to a local electrician. Out here in the sticks, if a cow flatuates with great vigor and enthusiasm, our electric service is knocked out and I have a couple of these gen-sets I purchased from GL for stand-by and for a second farm we bought not having juice yet.

mistaken1

Set your generator for 120/240.

Get short section 4-conductor #8 copper cable, an 8'x1/2" ground rod, a ground rod clamp, a 50 amp receptacle that matches your plug, a box with cover to house that receptacle, and a cable connector for you cable (to attach the cable to the box).

Make up the receptacle according to the markings on the receptacle.
L1 or X = black conductor - L2 or Y = red conductor - L0 or W = white conductor G = green conductor
Mount the box on a pedestal or on the side of generator where convenient.
Install the receptacle in the box and install the cover.

At the generator use cable ties or some other method to attach the cable to the generator (strain relief for the terminations), terminate the black conductor on L1, terminate the red conductor on L3, terminate the white conductor on L0 and terminate the green conductor on the ground lug on the frame.

Drive a ground rod 8'x1/2" or bigger and run a #8 copper conductor from the ground rod to the ground lug on the frame. The ideal situation would be to use a longer length of that 4-conductor cable so that you can leave the green wire long enough to run unbroken from the outlet, through the ground lug on the fame and finally to the ground rod. Trim the excess black, red and white conductors in that cable to keep things neat.

Receptacle-----------Generator
L1-(X)------------------L1
L2-(Y)------------------L3
L0-(W)-----------------L0
G------------------------GND_LUG--------GND_ROD

http://www.dasplace.net/RVWiring/125250v3p4wgrnd.jpg

http://www.dasplace.net/RVWiring/DSCN3897-220SocketBack.jpg

Most likely you will need this type of receptacle.

http://www.dasplace.net/RVWiring/DSCN3900-220Socket.jpg

http://www.dasplace.net/RVWiring/14-50.gif

If you're still not sure call a local electrician.

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the configuration he gave you will give you a 240 volt outlet if you want all the amp in 120 volt you will need to use other lugs

mistaken1

I believe the configuration he gave you will give you a 240 volt outlet if you want all the amp in 120 volt you will need to use other lugs
True, I assumed a large (50A) system would use 120/240 single phase.

The plug on your trailer should have a NEMA designation on it or at least compare the configuration to a NEMA chart to determine the voltage arrangement needed. (120 or 120/240)

The MEP manual shows the terminals to use for other voltages.

SouthwestUSA

I used to have an Aunt Nema...
But I suspect I should load up one of my gen-sets and my RV cable and go see an electrician. I'm beginning to think I'm "dangerous" and Nema might not be happy.
Ask me anything about scooping donkey poop or goat dung, and I'm an expert in that arena...
(Come to think of it, donkey poop is olive drab...)

PeterD

I used to have an Aunt Nema... ...
I'm sure Aunt Nema would agree with this, but if you are of this mind-set (which is good!) then an alternative might well be to find another collector nearby and enlist his/her help too... I've gotten lots of great help from those who have more experience with a given piece of equipment, and truthfully you may do better that way. Not all electricians are comfortable working with one of these generators. :beer:

SouthwestUSA

I'm sure Aunt Nema would agree with this, but if you are of this mind-set (which is good!) then an alternative might well be to find another collector nearby and enlist his/her help too... I've gotten lots of great help from those who have more experience with a given piece of equipment, and truthfully you may do better that way. Not all electricians are comfortable working with one of these generators. :beer:
About 20 years ago, when I decided to build an airplane in my backyard... All the jargon threw me (much in the way NEMA goes over my head.) I started reading my manuals and found out I needed Clecos... I thought to myself, "Hey, I've always liked the Marx Brothers, Harpo, Groucho, and Cleco...

I came across a guy in Terlingua, Texas who is using an MEP like mine to power his RV... He has invited me down for a look...

The nice thing about Steel Soldiers, lot's of folks here have "been there, done that" and that form of schooling works for me.

mistaken1

NEMA
National Electrical Manufactures Association

Every standard power plug in America has a NEMA number designation. That designation standardizes the physical and electrical characteristics so that all manufacturers NEMA 5-15P plugs are the same and will inter-operate with all manufacturers NEMA 5-15R receptacles which are all the same. (there are also international designations as well)

You can take the chart in the link and compare the trailer plug to the images in the chart to determine what receptacle (and wiring arrangement) is needed to support the trailer (assuming someone did not hack the wiring and install a plug in a non-standard manner).

NEMA plug chart:
NEMA Plug & Receptacle Configurations Reference Chart (Straight Blade)

SouthwestUSA

storeman

Wish I had seen this chart a few weeks ago. I bought a Rockwell 10" uni-saw off GL with no specs other than a picture of the plug (which I interpreted as a

NEMA 14-30
Turned out to be a

NEMA 18-30

Now I have a working 3-phase saw and no power unless I start a genset.
No choice but to sell it, I guess. Is there a way to convert a 3-phase motor?
Jerry

PeterD

... Now I have a working 3-phase saw and no power unless I start a genset.
No choice but to sell it, I guess. Is there a way to convert a 3-phase motor?
Jerry
Piece of cake! Go to eBay and search for "vfd phase" (without the double quotes, of course) and you will see how to do it.

Also I'd suggest joining "Garage Journal", The Garage Journal , as there are a bunch of very skilled guys there who can answer questions like this as well...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks